Fully Automated Brewing System Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my sweet time in responding so I missed the comments before.

Can you share, what were some of your ideas towards that route? I have a few ideas up my sleeve, some of which were spoken about in another thread in the gear section. Basically looking towards a set & forget four-hour duration. Load grain, water and hop hoppers, push a big red button and go back to bed. An alarm goes off that tells me I need to transfer boiling wort to a cube, then I clean the gear up, and that's another brew-day done. I can spend more time cultivating big healthy starters instead.
/quote]

Just wrote a reply, but it got lost - site has changed - anyone else see the OP at the top of each page?

Anyway, attached pic should be pretty self explanetery. ask if it need some more explanation.

conceptautomatedbiab1.jpg

I'll neven knock a person who is willing to attempt the impossible, but I have to say that it's threads like this one that makes me glad I'm a Butcher!.... I'm so confused! Is it 10:00am yet? I need a beer :icon_cheers:

Confused.jpg

People who deal with computers and spreadsheets and modelling programs often seem (in my experience) to make things much more complicated than they need to be. Just because it works theoretically, doesn't mean it is the best solution.

Perfection is attained, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (Antoine de St. Exupery)

Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.

To attain knowledge, add things every day. To attain wisdom, remove things every day. (Lao-tse)

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies
and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. (C.A.R. Hoare "The Emperor's Old Clothes" CACM Feb 1981)

Load grain, water and hop hoppers, push a big red button and go back to bed. An alarm goes off that tells me I need to transfer boiling wort to a cube, then I clean the gear up, and that's another brew-day done.
Let me get this straight, you're automating the fun bit and leaving yourself the crappy washing up therefor turning the brewing process into weighing and washing - 90% cleaning up. Sounds like a great way to destroy a good hobby.

Sounds like an even better way to impose your own motivations on to someone else.

Let me get this straight, you're automating the fun bit and leaving yourself the crappy washing up therefor turning the brewing process into weighing and washing - 90% cleaning up. Sounds like a great way to destroy a good hobby.

To each their own really. If I can save myself three hours, and add value to the process with repeatable results every time, I see no issue with the hobby being about designing recipes, doing a cleanup that has to be done anyway. My idea isnt about automating stuff just for the heck of it, its for two key practical outcomes, time and consistency. They are both tied in together, for example right now I am mashing outside, and the colder temps mean that I need to monitor the temp every 15 minutes, stir and add heat top maintain within 1/2 a degree. Indoors or shed brewing might be nice for some who only need to add insulation but its not an option for me. Same goes for a lot of time on my hands.

It will probably take me a year to put the bits together anyway so theres still plenty of time for the fun stuff as you put it, and theres been plenty before now. As someone with no engineering qualifications a semi auto device would also bring great personal DIY satisfaction if it worked as I plan it to :)

Some people are more into a hobby for the challenges of tinkering and tech. Look at all the guys into Arduina or whatever it's called, not to mention beehive building. That's what guys have always done. Fully automated system for defeating Hittite invaders, right up our alley. When I used to breed and show dogs I was just as much into designing dog kennels and getting a cage welded that would exactly fit into a Laser hatchback etc etc. The dog himself was a brainless mutt.

but I wuvved him

:wub:

Anyway off for a session with my UrnyNator - Saturday's half over and here I am typing. Wooohooooo

To each their own really...a semi auto device would also bring great personal DIY satisfaction if it worked as I plan it to :)

Yeah I can dig that.

Sounds like an even better way to impose your own motivations on to someone else.

Sorry to share my opinion Bum, I didn't realise you were the only one on here entitled to have one. How can I upgrade my account to allow me your level of hypocrisy?

I dunno. It might just be easiest to go ahead and do it anyway. Oh, look at that! You already did.

I posted because you shat all over a dude for not brewing for the same reason you do and then you accuse me of trying to stifle people? Seems pretty hypocritical already to me.

Seems pretty hypocritical already to me.
Oh zing! Perhaps we can avoid future confusion if you just go ahead and post a list of who you deem worthy of an opinion Constable bum.

So this is what labview looks like: the window on the right is for the block diagram which is built from icons in the functions panel at the extreme right. The left window is the interface where user inputs and outputs are input and displayed. This is a version to simply turn a relay on and off programmed by my mate when I was having trouble getting it working. Need to sit down with a pen and paper and work out how to get to the next step.

While bigfridge was right in saying that labview is mainly for engineers and scientists that cant program an embeded system, those than can program embeded systems still use labview because they can get a proof of concept and often a fully working system going in a fraction of the time by using labview. NASA for instance, and anyone that doesnt have years to spend developing an embeded system, but would rather get someting working quickly in order to prove a concept and get funding, patents etc well before what would be possible with low level programming. Certainly heaps easier than programming in assembly language!

Just finnished installing labview 2009 which took 2 hours! 19GB worth!

labview_setrelay_1.jpg

I agree! I have reciently realised how much simpler it would be to make a fully automated biab brewery. I wish I could turn back time and go that route, but I passed the point of no return when I purchased the butterfly valves. After this is finnished, I'll attempt it with the spares. Geared motors have ecentric shafts on them that are not in the center of the motor - perfect for a homebrew pinch valve.

Oh to have the time again.
I think you should really give this option a lot more consideration - this might be the smartest insight you have said all thread. From the sounds of things, you still haven't built your vessels which are going to be a major expense (especially if you are using stainless) - and you can always sell your excess gear (I hear the market for Teflon coated butterfly valves is red hot right now). A simpler system might also solve your space issues (ie in a rental laundry), your power issues (heating one vessel instead of 3) and will cost less (fewer vessels, valves, fittings, etc) - and at the rate you are progressing you might be able to finish a simpler system before we die of natural causes :D

I have been considering it! If the teflon coated 300mm red butterfly valve market is hot it might well be a go (one local rough quote was 1500 per valve - could it be I might have made an investment rather than waste money? surely not, will have to do the sums properly). Damn I am going to need a lot more beers to decide this one. :chug:

I suppose it comes down to how much balls I have to abandon my current design for a more radical one. And wether I want to be a biaber. :unsure: :blink:

I have three linear actuators on order, but it will be another week before they are posted due to a supply issue (I think they have to make more to fill my order).

Perhaps I could sell the butterflys, make three automated systems, sell two and break even? Something for me to consider - sounds crazy enough. Thanks Unrealeous! food for thought.

Although, next I am going to make a fully automated mash potatoe, carrot and brocolli cooker - the butterflys could come in handy for that. But am thinking of something more sustainable so it can be made cheaply for the elderly and disabled. It's shocking how the elderly dont make proper meals because its too much work for just them as opposed to them and their partner. One taxi driver mentioned how many elderly have sandwiches for dinner and his theory was thats when their health start to go downhill. (BTW, not a drunk thought - been planning this next project for 5 months).

It seems now would be a good time to mention the reason for undertaking this project. My dad makes his own soap using olive oil, caustic soda and essencial oils like lavender oil. And I want to automate his soap making factory. So this little escapade is just a dry run to get the experience for that. Its much like brewing, heat up 20L of olive oil to a specific temp, add the essencial oils, rose petals etc then add caustic soda, stir like crazy and dump in moulds. I did model some soap mould prototypes and have them 3d printed in plastic:

And if you didnt see it coming, all of these automated projects are just dry runs for my lifes work which...... I wont mention as I dont want anyone else to die of laughter. :D

PC020139.JPG

And if you didnt see it coming, all of these automated projects are just dry runs for my lifes work which...... I wont mention as I dont want anyone else to die of laughter. :D

come on...

I wont post any laughs at least.

I have three linear actuators on order, but it will be another week before they are posted due to a supply issue (I think they have to make more to fill my order).

Meh. Probably cheaper and easier to buy a 12v winch. What's the point of a linear actuator if you are going to tie to to a cable anyway?

Drive it via PWM to get your speed right.

In fact I would start by trying a cheap spool on a windscreen wiper motor. You'd be surprised what those little buggers can do. And only about $5 at the local wreckers.

I suppose it comes down to how much balls I have to abandon my current design for a more radical one. And wether I want to be a biaber. :unsure: :blink:

sounds like you're giving up to me

Dave

hows the welding btw ?

Thanks Zizzle! Linear actuators are paid for and will arrive momentarily. Can you decreibe this 12V winch you speak of?

Sorry Bradley, I am planning on taking out patents on the top secret device I alluded to, and have been advised by a patent attorney not to divolge information pertaining to said top secret device to anyone. Everything else is open source though. Especially this project :rolleyes: .

sounds like you're giving up to me

Dave

hows the welding btw ?

Anti biab hey? how can I resist that avartar? :huh:

As far as the welding goes, I picked up the tig kit on friday - YAY! But also got some computer parts, but upon putting them together I realised I needed a different type of ram, so have to order that. It's all a rich tapestry of what do I spend my time doing. Learning to weld, or learning to program an automated brewery. The answer is both.

The question is how do I find time? Time will tell. And to top it all off, the brewery funds I have been saving for the last 6 months have run out! Oh the humanity!

Latest posts

Back