Fully Automated Brewing System Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the offer is there, and it's genuine. Was thinking more of having the materials cut and delivered to you, a part payment to cover the cost of the equipment, then having it shipped to me, or you delivering it to me for the cost of the shipping.

The fermenter is thin walled stainless, the MLT and kettle are thick walled stainless pipe and flanges with thinwalled lids. Still to decide on the HLT (a 40L urn will probably suffice). The frame will likely be 50 x 25x 4 RHS mild steel with 200PFC to support the butterflys.

I'm sure I can weld the frame, as its just mild steel. I would like to weld the rest of it too. Hate to say it, but I doubt I will have the time to go to tafe, and so will probably just wing it. Will start by practising with scrap mild steel from the frame. Then weld the frame, then practise with scrap stainless sheet, trying to make a drip tray, electronics control box times 2 (one for low voltage (12V) and another one for 240V). Then weld the thick stainless pipe to the weldneck or slipon flanges for the MLT and kettle, and then weld the thin walled stainless sheet bung and walls of the stand, and last of all the fermenter. Hopefully that will stagger the experience I need so by the time I get the the critical stuff I have at least half a skill.

If I do it like I have described I reackon I can do it myself, will need to upload pics of the welds to get some feedback on the quality though.

I have decided to make the fermeter take up the whole fermenting fridge, and that seems to be about 100L, so 80L fermenting volume is just acceptable
I think you missed the point. Smaller - not bigger. And more frequency - not justification for less.

I just need to make more than I can consume and give it away - think I can hear a few people putting their hands up already!
Is that like the sound of one hand clapping? If a tree falls in the forest...

by the time I get the the critical stuff I have at least half a skill.
We're still not talking about beer are we..?

I think you missed the point. Smaller - not bigger.

Oh man. Did he just not immediately acquiesce to your demanded changes? Them shits must sting!

Well, the offer is there, and it's genuine. Was thinking more of having the materials cut and delivered to you, a part payment to cover the cost of the equipment, then having it shipped to me, or you delivering it to me for the cost of the shipping.

ok, serious for a minute... Appreciate the offer and all, B1, but with all that frigging about it'd be cheaper for you to find an apprentice or something and swap him some beer for his time...

My concept is that if I have the space I have to use it.

Yes, if a tree falls in the woods.... Nope, I got nuffin.

So do I just do less mashes? Like with a 20L final boil volume I will need 4 mashes to make up 80L in the fermenter. So I suppose I just need to accept that for the first year or so Jessica will just do say two mashes and boils into the fermenter. So thats 60L head space. I dont see a problem with that. Planning an automated yeast culturing system, but its pretty complex, so that comes into it, almost got a concept, but not quite there yet.

Thanks for the thought provoking Jakub!

ok, serious for a minute... Appreciate the offer and all, B1, but with all that frigging about it'd be cheaper for you to find an apprentice or something and swap him some beer for his time...

Yea, that would be better than someone who knows how to do it or just someone who cares. I could do it better in my sleep while drunk as I would care how it turned out.

:lol: Let's not start taking it all personally now, B1! Ok, I'll make you a serious deal... I'm pretty sure I'll be in Melbourne for the ANHC.... if you have it all cut and ready, and can get access to a TIG, I'll fizz it together for you for nicks? We'll call it my apology to you for being such a negative smartass in your thread and call it quits?

That's pretty awesome, Schoo.

:lol: Obviously, wasnt meant personally, just saying that someone that cares will do it better. Was outside having a smoke just then and decided once and for all to do it myself. Not going to have a chance to get training, just going to work my way up as previousely described getting experience on the simple stuff (frame) etc. I have welded before, just not much. Now that I have posted it I cant go back.

You have been very helpful Schooey, thanks for your input!

Oh man. Did he just not immediately acquiesce to your demanded changes? Them shits must sting!
Oh, I'm sorry I upset you petal. It's coz I mentioned Nick isn't it? Chin up big guy, I'm sure he'll stop ignoring you soon. Hugs

Did a experienced boilermaker just offer to weld this up for you for free and you turned him down?

Yea, but I had already decided a few mins before to do it myself. Once I make up my mind its as good as done. And he does live like 5 hours drive away so wouldnt want to put him out. Now I just need to close down the browser and get to modeling - not going to happen tonight though.

As bear grills says: a decision, wether its right or wrong is usually a good thing in a survival situation. Once you stop making decisions you loose your motivation and end up going to sleep in the desert and never waking up.

Hope that makes sense.

Havent you figured him out yet?

He wants to build an automated brewery that will do everything but make him drink the beer. Then he says he is too lazy to turn it on and brew more then 5 or 6 times a year.

and he still wants to have automated yeast culture for all that brewing he is planning.

Haven't you figured him out yet?

Apparently you haven't. The system is more interesting than the beer it'll make. He's already making beer.

(Sorry to be talking about you behind your back right in front of your face, Bandito)

Apparently you haven't. The system is more interesting than the beer it'll make. He's already making beer.

(Sorry to be talking about you behind your back right in front of your face, Bandito)

Its all good bum! Im not even here! This is an automated reply - they all are! I'm not even real! I'm an automated bot! :unsure:

Do you have a link to your automated brewery please katzke? I dont think I have seen it yet.

Haven't you figured him out yet?

He wants to build an automated brewery that will do everything but make him drink the beer. Then he says he is too lazy to turn it on and brew more then 5 or 6 times a year.

and he still wants to have automated yeast culture for all that brewing he is planning.

I will have to dispose of the spent grain, and be home to monitor it so the place doesnt burn down as has been fortold in the bigfridge profecies, at least for the first year.

But yea, I am still trying to figure out how to have the capability of only brewing 6 times a year eventually, whilst having the ability to do smaller batches to dial in the system and more importantly, dial in the recipies. The answer for that seems to be to do single or double batches.

I have learnt a lot from zwickles setup, also from Jonathons. I'm sure I can also learn a lot from Katzke's also - hangon - am I getting Kirem confused with Katzke? Do you have an automated brewery? Or am I confusing them both with that other automated brewer starting Z - who was that? Cant put my finger on the name. Oh yea, Zizzle, that the dude! Anyone have a link to his brewery?

I have also learnt a lot from many other brewers - everyone quite frankly. And dispite my reputation, I do listen to everyone, but I do reserve the right to make up my own mind - even though I am an automated bot /skynet.

Back