Fully Automated Brewing System Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks lethal, much appreciated, will keep it to 10A. Any info on those electrical safety regulations and the reasons for them please.

It's all explained pretty thoroughly in AS/NZS 3000:2009, but you can get a brief introduction by doing an apprenticeship as an electrician or an engineering degree. In the meantime, keep it below 10A.

Well, I have always believed it to be because the wires in the walls are only rated at 10A, and even they heat up a bit. If I run an electric heater at 2400W the cable gets quite warm. Then there is the sockets and plugs that are only rated at 10A. So drawing over 10A would heat up the wires going through the walls and could start a fire that goes up the inside of the wall in into the roof, and there is no stopping that.

I believe the 16A fuse is there for fault conditions where an appliance is faulty. Also allows for very short periods to run a microwave at the same time as a kettle. I'm always careful not to run the toaster at the same time as the kettle. Edit: I am always telling people off for that.

Are you, like, trying to make him punch his monitor?

See, bum, talking like he's not here is much more monitor friendly....;)

Protection devices such as wire fuses and Circuit breakers in your switchboard are designed to protect the cabling. Nothing else...

Not at all. Thats my opinion, and think its at least 80% correct.

While we are on the subject of monitors... I did a bad thing today.. I bought a couple of 3d monitors and 3d glasses. There goes the brewery funds! But the monitors were on special for 299 ea. and I have wanted one for like 4 years, but were between 2.5k and 7.5k. 3d stereoscopic brewery modeling here I come :D . May not have the brewery as soon as I had hoped, but it will be realistic.

Yea, but its stereo!

Ok. Now you're trying to make everyone else punch their monitors.

Dude. Focus! I can't be the only one who actually wants to see this thing make Frankenstein beer, can I?

i would look at your insurance - as far as i was told, if anything is connected to my mains that's not "legal" eg passes the legal certs. then my insurance would not cover me.

I might be wrong, but a custom brewery, wired up by a home owner without the tests/paperwork etc may not be covered by insurance if lets say ..... you burn the house down

It will be checked by a licensed and registered electrician, and probably even wired too, just to make it semi legal. Should be able to get a professor mate to checkover the whole system as he is qualified in automation stuff and can certify it. Yea, probably should do that. He can check the code and the labview setup and add some more advanced safeguards and tweaks.

I also tried to order another 8 of those pic controlled relay boards today using the link I posted a few pages back, but the postage came out at $47,000. So just sent an email requesting a more realistic postage of $30.

Gotta watch these internet sites!

got yourself booked in for the welding course at TAFE yet ?

I did have a look during lunch today, but no short courses that I can see. The welding courses have a length of 36 - whatever that is. Hope its hours and not weeks. Seems to be held in moryura which is a good $50 cab ride each way. Would be cheaper to employ the teacher myself for a few days.. :ph34r: not looking for a qualification, just the skills. Gonna have to get the teacher on the phone and work out a price.

I'm a very soon to be unemployed boilermaker, Bandy... I'll make you deal! You buy the cheapo virgin/jetstar tickets from newy to melbexico, return and I'll do my best to impart as much weldology as I can. Maybe we could get a 'people who want to see bandito actually brew some beer' working bee/brewday/BBQ event going so I don't have to go hungry for the weekend...:p

Ordered a 40 relay RS485 controller today from http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-RS485-40-Channel-R...=item41517bdcdd

That should be more than enough relays to control the pinch valves. I need to actuate them at a high voltage then switch to a lower voltage, so I need two relays per valve.

I wouldn't dream of talking about Bandito as though he wasn't here - so I will ask him directly: Do you even know what RS485 is ?

And what 'high voltage' are you switching ? You have bought relays that need 12 volts to actuate - but what are the contacts rated ie current and voltage ?

As much as I hate to see people wasting their money, I hate to see anyone waste themselves or their neighbours even more. My final piece of advice would be to put this project aside for a few years and sit playing with your 3D monitors. At least you won't hurt anything and who knows one day you may even have the experience and maturity to see where you are going wrong. You are very keen, but no amount of keeness can replace maturity.

You remind me of the old-spice add currently doing the viral rounds:

Look over there - a bottle of beer, now back to me holding an automatic pill dispenser. See my 3D monitors sitting on my teflon coated valves, now back to me with my dog feeder and 5 litre brewery. I can draw, I am living out of my car as I am now homeless.

:D

Thanks lethal, much appreciated, will keep it to 10A. Any info on those electrical safety regulations and the reasons for them please.

Do yourself a favour and google up 'in-rush current'.

Sheesh....way to spoil my junket to Melbourne, Dave!

...did laugh-out-Loyd at the Old Spice analogy though :lol:

Latest posts

Back