fruit wheat beer recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonbandit

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good fruity wheat beer recipes?
I would love to brew either a cherry or raspberry wheat beer in the future but I don't currently have a good recipe.

Cheers

All grain?

I've done a cherry wheat before : 50% wheat, 50% pilsner with a touch of caramunich (optional). 66C mash. 15 IBU from willamette at 90 mins.

Fermented with whitelabs American wheat beer yeast (WLP320).

Once the primary is done, rack to secondary onto 2kg of pitted cherries, flush with CO2 and leave for a week or two (or three).

For the fruit I wash, remove pits and freeze then defrost, then refreeze (turns the fruit into pulp). I have pasteurized in DME wort for a minute or two at 72C and have also just used the fruit as is.

For extract, I'd use 100% wheat extract.

I did a great raspberry wheat recently but it might not be for everyone. 50/50 dingermans pilsner and BB wheat. Protein rest at 50 for 15 minutes. Then sacc rest at 62 for 90 minutes. 5 ibu with magnum. Mash pH adjusted to 5.2 with lactic acid and sparge water adjusted to 5.2 in the same way. Then ferment with us05. At terminal gravity add 2kg of frozen raspberry coles brand in a hop bag straight to primary. Crash chill after 5 days. Carbonate very high. Tastes super raspberry and a bit tart with the mouthfeel of a softdrink.

We did one recently that was 40% wheat I think, the balance was your preferred pale malt.

After primary I added in a mulberry syrup made up from mulberry cordial I had made a while ago. When reconstituted it was approx 1 litre at around 1150 gravity. I also sliced some chilli, de-seeded, and bruised the flesh before adding to the syrup. I boiled this briefly to sanitise then let cool and pitched.

It needed more mulberry to be honest. The chilli flavour was good.

But overall wheat beers leave me a bit un-impressed. Fermented with New World Strong dry yeast, I really wanted to do this with a saison yeast at cooler temps to get a little bit of saison flavour in it.

carbonbandit said:
Does anyone know of any good fruity wheat beer recipes?
I would love to brew either a cherry or raspberry wheat beer in the future but I don't currently have a good recipe.

Cheers
Yep, last beer was a cherry wheat lager. 45% JW wheat malt and 55% JW pils so all Aussie malts here. I added 6 jars of Morello cherries (sour cherries) when fermentation was at about 75%. The cherries were slightly smashed (but not pulverized) is a sanitized blender. 25L batch.

The beer itself had a bittering hop addition only, to around 15IBU's. Fermented as a lager on 2042.

Turned out exactly as I wanted, light body, crystal clear red colour, big foamy head and a tart cherry flavor. The cherries did not override the malt neither did the beer have an artificial cherry flavor or was it sour tasting - just a refreshing tartness.

Cherries were Marco Polo brand Morello cherries that I got from a food wholesaler.

Latest posts

Back