Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Champagne bottles, have thick glass and a large ^-shaped bottom (punted). This apparently allows them to take enormous pressure. But i guess if you arn't bottling then it wont matter. Put it in the keg and wait a week until you drink it. Can't go wrong.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Champagne bottles, have thick glass and a large ^-shaped bottom (punted). This apparently allows them to take enormous pressure. But i guess if you arn't bottling then it wont matter. Put it in the keg and wait a week until you drink it. Can't go wrong.
cheers
Darren
[post="88812"][/post]​

Darren, it's in the fermenter - the question was when to keg it? :rolleyes:

What is wrong with kegging it early? Just dont chill it and bleed off excess gas with the relief valve

Darren said:
What is wrong with kegging it early? Just dont chill it and bleed off excess gas with the relief valve
[post="88819"][/post]​

Because I don't have a spare keg for it at present for starters - & I'm quite happy with it undisturbed in the fermenter. If you can't help with my question, that's fine :) ...

Ross.

I'd leave it on the fruit for 2 weeks to absorb some of the flavour then transfer it to a tertiary to clear a bit because no doubt some crap will carry over when racking. Maybe keg it after that. :unsure:

Warren -

Ross said:
Because I don't have a spare keg for it at present for starters - & I'm quite happy with it undisturbed in the fermenter. If you can't help with my question, that's fine :) ...
[post="88824"][/post]​

Ross, Your question is about as obvious as how long is a piece of string :blink:, and you answered it yourself. You are happy where it is and You don't have a spare keg so that is where it will stay until YOU decide to move it. You were already given the potential sugar from the bananas. You know how many you added. You know how long that extra gravity would take to ferment. You are the only one who can decide when it is done. Leave it there for a year if it tickles ya, you could transfer it now. Next you will be asking "can I dry banana it"
:eek:

I made a beer a banana beer once (a beer with two bananas in it). I took it off beer from the banana when the flesh had been eaten away from the fibre. Was only a week.
I learned though, just make a beer and eat a banana, but hey there is nothing wrong with experimenting.

Ok Ross, Ill try to answer your perplexing question... First taste the beer if your not happy with the taste leave it until you are, then look at the clarity of the beer, then if not happy rack the beer WITHOUT BANANAS! until your happy with the both questions, wait until you have a spare keg and keg it. I dont need to explain anything after that do i.... lol

Scotty

Difficult to know when fermentation is complete! I don't think that I am ready to abandon the comfort of an airlock - it's kindof handy in these situations.
Ross, perhaps you should punt the keg in glass carboy bottles.

Scotty,

I think you hit it on the head, use a glass carboy. A little late this time, but I've got a glass carboy waiting to be picked up, so I'll definately use it next time.
Anyway, despite the carpet of krausen, I reckon it's finished, so I'll be racking it to a cube today. I'll seal the lid & keep it warm for 24 hours to check it is totally done, then into CC for a week.

cheers Ross

Just racked the banana beer & although it has a nice banana flavour/aroma, a large amount of bananas were completely enveloped in the thick krausen, preventing contact with the active yeast. Next time I think I'll boil them, but still add to the secondary...

Will be on tap at the xmas swap, for those interested... :)

Boozy the clown said:
How did the bananamber taste?

anyone? :chug: , :D or :blink: ?
[post="97086"][/post]​

i like it & Jimmyjack was hooking into it at the case swap.... Can't remember too many other comments - was a BIG day... :party:

Back