Frozen Yeast...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_quintal

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I racked my Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale to secondary and harvested the yeast cake. Then I put the yeast cake in the fridge that I was crash chilling in. Had my fridge a bit cold and it ended up freezing the 'beer' sitting on the yeast. Now it wasn't solid frozen but la liquid kind of slurpee frozen.

Anyway I want to use this yeast this weekend in a Galaxy Ale :icon_drool2: . Do you think it's viable or should I get a new vial?

Thanks
Alex

Hi All,

So I racked my Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale to secondary and harvested the yeast cake. Then I put the yeast cake in the fridge that I was crash chilling in. Had my fridge a bit cold and it ended up freezing the 'beer' sitting on the yeast. Now it wasn't solid frozen but la liquid kind of slurpee frozen.

Anyway I want to use this yeast this weekend in a Galaxy Ale :icon_drool2: . Do you think it's viable or should I get a new vial?

Thanks
Alex

I had a similar problem with some top-cropped ale yeast (1318).

I would make a starter with the yeast cake to check viability and make sure it didn't pick up any infections along the way.

Should be fine.

Cheers
:icon_chickcheers:

Hi All,

Thanks
Alex

I believe that when most cells freeze it causes the water in the cell to expand and cause the cell wall to burst. You may find some alright, as malt shovel said make a starter to see if its still alive but also to build up yeast number again before you chuck it into unfermented brew.

Tom

Yeah you're both right. Definately the most logical approach.

Latest posts

Back