Conundrum with my Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knot_gillty

Reaction score
So, I racked my Mead and cold crashed it for about a week so far. One of the kids goes out to the garage fridge to grab a can of soft drink out and cones back in and tells me my Mead has frozen. Whilst not all demijohns froze, the ones that have aren't frozen solid. Have I (or more likely the kids. Yeah, we'll roll with that...) somehow fucked my Mead??? I hope not. I don't think it will be but I'm no expert.

Oddly enough (for me) the one with the oak chips in it didn't freeze at all. The ones with star anise and the cinnamon/clove one have frozen.

Pic for laughter at me...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502699442.001146.jpg

As you were cold crashing, we can assume your ferment is over, so you might be OK.
There is a very good chance that the mead will cast a bit of protein, reset the thermostat so the mead thaws, let it rest at around 1oC for a couple of days, then rack it again.
If you want to package as bottle conditioned sparkling mead, it would be a good idea to re-inoculate, odds are the yeast is dead.
Mark

Cheers Mark. I like the alc content as is so the yeast being gone doesn't worry me. Not heading for a sparkling. I've got it in the study thawing at the moment, I'll chuck it back in the fridge tomorrow. I've reset thermostat. Thanks mate.

Back