Frozen Yeast Stalling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopsomulous

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the fermenter and it has stalled. Currently sitting at 1.024 after 14 days (OG was 1.061 and predicted FG is 1.015). Wort was oxygenated before the yeast was pitched.

I have done the next steps to get the fermentation going again (warmed the fermenter, stirred the yeast back into solution) and will see how this goes.

Anyhow, the yeast I am using is a re-cultured WLP 001. It was frozen using 25% glycerine solution for 3 months in a 50mL solution. The yeast was slowly resuscitated with steps at 50mL, 250mL and 1L. By the 1L step it was trying to escape from the flask (very active ferment)

This is surprisingly my first stalled ferment and coincidentally my first time using frozen yeast. I have used re cultured yeast stored under water in the fridge successfully before.

Anyhow, has anyone else had their revived frozen yeast stall and is this more common with revived yeast compared with fresh yeast?

Only used my frozen yeast a couple of times so far, but both *very* happy to be let free and attenuated as expected.

Any other factors to consider? Ie usual suspects like crystal%, other unfermentables, or high mash temp...

If the stir fails to rouse it, then you can do a forced ferment test, or just pitch another active starter to get it going again...

Good luck!

Crystal was low, only 5%, no non-fermentables added.

Mash was as follows.
5min @ 55,
15min @ 63,
40min @ 68,
10min @ 72 and
15min@ 78.

Might do the forced ferment test just to check what's going on.

Latest posts

Back