Re-Cultured Coopers Yeast Stall

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilvia

Reaction score
Hi All,

Did a CPA clone from QLDAndrew's recipe Tuesday last week. Ended up with 43L in the fermenter at 1043. I used 3x 700ml CPA bottles and decanted the beer off the yeast. I made a stepped starter starting with 1.2L and then 2L of 1040 wort. The fermenter is in a temp controlled fridge and has been set at 17c. The blow off has been bubbling away but when I checked this morning it had stopped. I checked the gravity and it's currently sitting at 1018.

I will check tomorrow but guessing the yeast has stalled, as all sources say this yeast is quite quick. Just wondering peoples suggestions? Thinking about putting some US-05 in there just to finish it of.

Hi, dont panic yet, just shake fermenter a little (if you can shake 43L) and raise temp 2 degrees, n see if that gets you a few more points. It may just need a little help to finish off. In future can I suggest you'll get better yeast growth if you do a 4L starter ..?

Ditchnbeer said:
Hi, dont panic yet, just shake fermenter a little (if you can shake 43L) and raise temp 2 degrees, n see if that gets you a few more points. It may just need a little help to finish off. In future can I suggest you'll get better yeast growth if you do a 4L starter ..?
Ok cheers, will do that tonight. I've got a conical so it's a bit hard to pull it out of the fridge to give it a swirl. From the calcs that I was looking at, a step from 1.2 to 2L should have been good considering I was using a stir plate. May have to pickup a bigger flask..

i just had this issue and i racked to another fermenter which i very rarely do, bumped the temp up as well...took a few more days but it got to 1.010.

the yeast really makes this beer, i threw a few coopers pale tins in with it to build up some yeast for the AG batch and am very surprised at how well they turned out

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure specific gravity?

Using a refractometer. I've been watching the hydrometer vs refractometer topic for the last few days though.. Should also say that I use the onebeer calc to work out my FG. Brix was 7 this morning.

Moad said:
i just had this issue and i racked to another fermenter which i very rarely do, bumped the temp up as well...took a few more days but it got to 1.010.

the yeast really makes this beer, i threw a few coopers pale tins in with it to build up some yeast for the AG batch and am very surprised at how well they turned out
Yeah and that's the main reason I wanted to re-culture the yeast from their bottle. Just thought that to yeast might have imparted its flavor for the major part and could finish with US-05.

just personally i'd start that yeast @19
it really depends how accurate youe temp sensors are because the prope i use for mash etc is 2 deg out to the temp sender on temp control of ferment fridge but for that i think 17 is a tad low
cheers
ken

yeah 17 is a bit low. Next time bigger starter and ferment at 19. BUt with this batch raise temp n agitate (if possible) and see how it goes

stilvia said:
Using a refractometer. I've been watching the hydrometer vs refractometer topic for the last few days though.. Should also say that I use the onebeer calc to work out my FG. Brix was 7 this morning.
Which means you are correcting your reading to compensate for the presence of alcohol? (Sorry unfamiliar with onebeer app).

Definitely persist. All being equal, coopers will attenuate very well. If vigorous visual activity only stopped today, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thanks all. I've borrowed a friends hydrometer and gravity is showing 1019. I've just bumped up the temp to 20c. I'm using a STC1000 and have measured the temp to be within 0.2c with a IR temperature gauge. Happy to wait it out, just reading around made me think the yeast was a bit faster than what it is.

Manticle, here's a link to the one beer calculator. It does compensate for the presence of alcohol. http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

stilvia said:
Thanks all. I've borrowed a friends hydrometer and gravity is showing 1019. I've just bumped up the temp to 20c. I'm using a STC1000 and have measured the temp to be within 0.2c with a IR temperature gauge. Happy to wait it out, just reading around made me think the yeast was a bit faster than what it is.

Manticle, here's a link to the one beer calculator. It does compensate for the presence of alcohol. http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml
20 will be ok I've done this recipe countless times and I reckon the best temp is 19 cheers

Good news.. Down to 1010 this morning. Will check again Saturday. What FG are people getting down to?

Last time I used it it was 1006- 1008 from memory.
May depend on a few factors though.

Back