Froze My Beer In Fermentor While Cold Conditioning!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandgarden

Reaction score
I had read about it happening to others (John Palmer relays his experience freezing his lager in How To Brew), so I didn't cry when I discovered my frozen ale as I was about to bottle it this evening. But I surely did have to abandon hope of bottling it tonight. I had all my bottles sanitised and my priming sugar boiled when I went in to the fridge to lift out the fermentor of beer that I had been cold crashing for 5 days. I didnt like the solid look that I saw from the outside and sure enough when I opened the lid, here is what I saw:

frozen.jpg

I had been cold crashing it in my fridge at the coldest setting. I had kept a close eye on it for the first few days for any signs of freezing. I even had a plastic bottle with a drop of water that I could check for freezing above the fermentor and another one below and there was not a sign of any freezing in those first few days. So than I got complacent and put too much trust in my fridge and left it at the low setting until the bottling day that didnt happen.

Its not frozen solid, its liquid towards the bottom, but its hard to tell how frozen it is. I took a sample from the tap, tasted it and it was super sweet it measured an SG of 1.032. It must be because its the water thats frozen out first leaving concentrated beer at the bottom.

So now Im leaving it out at room temperature over night and when its defrosted Ill give it a bit of a stir around to get it evenly mixed again and then Ill give it a day or two to settle before bottling. Im hoping the yeast in it is ok enough for carbonation as I dont have a spare packet of yeast to match the kit yeast and throwing in a different yeast strain could possibly do more harm than good. So Im not too worried about it, I reckon shell be alright. What do you think?

she'll be right mate. ive frozen a few brews and they carbonated alright.it may take a bit longer but definatly will happen in my experiance

:icon_vomit: spewing, should be ok i guess.

Well, I got it bottled last night. I put it up in the attic during the day to help it thaw out faster and it was fully thawed yesterday evening. I added another packet of yeast to be safe. The SG of the sample I took from the tap at the bottom was 1.020 - a bit higher than the 1.017 that I had measured before cold crashing (er freezing), but I reckon it could have still been a bit more concentrated at the bottom of the FV. This time it tasted normal - not sweet like the post freeze sample. Since I added the priming sugar to the top it might balance things out a bit. Maybe I'll end up with some uneven carbonation but with plastic bottles there's no bottle bomb risk.

It will be fine I have frozen the my last 2 brews both of them have had no problems.
The both have been a little hazy but not sure if that was due to the freezing or how they would turn out anyway.
Carbonation has been good with out adding any more yeast but Adding some more wont hurt.
I have also got a temp mate on the way that should go a long way to help control my ferment and cold conditioning temps.

Cheers Stu

Latest posts

Back