Frothy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisho

Reaction score
hey guys i need some help please i just started brewing in kegs and i tapped my first keg and the beer just comes out all froth and no beer it's set at 75 kpa for puring and at just under 5000 kpa in the bottle what's going on please help
don't understand why it's like that.

bisho

hey guys i need some help please i just started brewing in kegs and i tapped my first keg and the beer just comes out all froth and no beer it's set at 75 kpa for puring and at just under 5000 kpa in the bottle what's going on please help
don't understand why it's like that.

bisho

sounds overcarbed, how did you carbonate the keg ?

Agree with Tha "Don" but can also be the way you have your kegs set up and balanced. How's about a description or better still a photo of how you have things set up?

Chap Chap

all i did was just hook up the lines and turned it on that's all.
sorry new to this all what's the right way to carbonate the beer properly?
and how do i fix the over carbed beer that i have?

bisho

all i did was just hook up the lines and turned it on that's all.
sorry new to this all what's the right way to carbonate the beer properly?
and how do i fix the over carbed beer that i have?

bisho

ok, need some more detail to diagnose the problem;

- when was the beer put in the keg ?
- how was the keg stored after filling with beer ?
- was the keg primed with sugar ?
- when was the gas connected ?
- what pressure ?
- whats the current temp of the beer ?

ok, need some more detail to diagnose the problem;

- when was the beer put in the keg ?
- how was the keg stored after filling with beer ?
- was the keg primed with sugar ?
- when was the gas connected ?
- what pressure ?
- whats the current temp of the beer ?

ok the beer was put in the keg on sunday
the keg was put into the fridge
no was not primed with sugar
the gas was connected on sunday
the pressure was too high like about 1000 kpa
about 3 degrees

ok the beer was put in the keg on sunday
the keg was put into the fridge
no was not primed with sugar
the gas was connected on sunday
the pressure was too high like about 1000 kpa
about 3 degrees

1000kpa seems extremely high, i would have thought 1000kpa would trigger the release valve

if the keg sat in the fridge at high pressure (>300kpa) for more than 24 hours, chances are you have overcarbonated the keg

take the keg out of the fridge, let it warm up, then vent the pressure a few times, rocking the keg in between to release the co2 from solution,

then put the keg back in the fridge at pouring pressure (75kpa sounds reasonable) and try agan after 24 hours

hey guys still having problems with frothy beer i took it out of the fridge y'day left it out for about 4 hrs then vented all pressure out of the keg put back in fridge left for 24 hrs tried again still same.
I don't know what happened and i'm outta ideas to fix it.

bisho

mate your gonna need to either take a picture or give a detailed explanation of the gear ur using ,what keg, what beer line, how much beer line are you using a tap or a gun? etc etc

hey guys still having problems with frothy beer i took it out of the fridge y'day left it out for about 4 hrs then vented all pressure out of the keg put back in fridge left for 24 hrs tried again still same.

bisho

Try shaking it for 10 seconds, then purging it, then shaking then purging about 6 times. Seriously, to me it just sounds like you've got far too much CO2 dissolved in your beer. Leaving it out and purging it once reduces this by very little. Do it a bunch of times by shaking it and you'll be right.

bisho

You're going to need to do this a number of times if it is really over carbed. Unless you've got a in line check valve, be carefull that you don't end up with beer in your regulator. Try venting several more times. I would leave the gas connect off and it should still poor from it own pressure. At times with an over carbed beer, I've been able to pour it into a room temp beer jug and just leave it in the fridge for ten minutes for the head to subside. You may then be able to pour yourself a pint at a time.

Cheers

Hirns

You only need to carb at 40psi for two days (unless you want to force carb with rocking or shaking) and probably a bit less if the keg is already cold. That converts to about 275 Kpa. Your 1000KPA should have blown the pressure relief valve on the keg. Are you sure your reading the reg correctly. On a duel guage set up a full bottle will read about 1000Psi, this is the pressure in the bottle.

Hirns

Latest posts

Back