Fridge Temp Controller - Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on which controller I should get from Mashmaster?

http://www.mashmaster.com/p/365732/dei-105...roller-kit.html or http://www.mashmaster.com/p/365439/fridgem...roller-kit.html
I assume if I get the Fridgemate that I should also purchase a SS Probe to go with it.

Thanks

Mick

Mick,
I have a fridgemate and it works perfectly with my chest freezer. you would only need the SS probe if you were going to put the probe in contact with liquid.

Mick,
I have a fridgemate and it works perfectly with my chest freezer. you would only need the SS probe if you were going to put the probe in contact with liquid.

I wrote to Frank from Mash Master on the same subject and his response was same as Turto. Are you looking to put the probe in a fermenting wort or just planning to use the ambient temperature of the fridge ?

I just have the regular fridgemate with the standard probe, and i bluetac it to the side of my carboy and it seems to be pretty accurate.

use bluetack or a piece of foam to insulate it from the air in the fridge, so its reading the temperature of the carboy.

the ss probe is more accurate, as you can have it in the middle of your fermenting wort getting the exact temperature of the liquid, but its more work to install, and another place for nasties to harbor.

I wasn't going to stick the probe in the wort but into a 2L pet bottle full of water in the freezer with hopes that this will provide a reasonable facsimilie of temp of the wort in the fermenter.

Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

Mick

Some people do this, but im not a huge fan of the idea for a couple of reasons.

1. because fermenation is an endothermic process, meaning that the act of the yeast turning the sugar into alcohol and co2 produces heat, which will warm up the wort. a big healthy ferment will produce a surprising amount of heat.

2. the thermal mass of 23L of wort is much more than 2L of water, the water will cool down and heat up much much faster than the wort will.

Okay, I agree that does make sense. I think I will still get a SS probe in case I decide to fit it into the fermenter.

BTW I think the fermenting process is exothermic B)

Thanks for your comments guys

I think I have enough feedback to know that the Fridgemate does the job (also gives heating control which may be useful in winter)

Mick

edit [fix dumb typo]

Some people do this, but im not a huge fan of the idea for a couple of reasons.

1. because fermenation is an endothermic process, meaning that the act of the yeast turning the sugar into alcohol and co2 produces heat, which will warm up the wort. a big healthy ferment will produce a surprising amount of heat.

2. the thermal mass of 23L of wort is much more than 2L of water, the water will cool down and heat up much much faster than the wort will.

WOW, I dont disagree with u but I think a lot of blokes get way too hung up on this topic. Who cares where the probe goes as long as it keeps the wort at the temp u want. Its a no brainer if u ask me. Just stick the probe in the air anywhere in the fridge/freezer and adjust the temp to suit. I just dial down an extra deg or two and it's on the money. And as for the endothermic process.......well I am yet to prove this is a real factor. I have tested the temp of a Kolsch that was going nuts spewing krusen out the airlock for days and the temp was not noticeably higher in the wort than the air. Even when it finished fermenting it was no warmer than when it was going.
Anyway my point is I could not be bothered ballsing around with putting a probe in the wort. And another thing it does not make any difference but setting your temp diferential to 2 deg C. It may just get you a year or 2 extra out of your fridge buy not having the condensor cutting in and out as much, again just set a deg cooler.
But thats just me :wacko:
Maybe I do diasagree with you then <_<

Steve

i do the "probe in a stubby of water" trick only because it keeps the temp much more stable and doesnt cause the compressor to click on each time i open the fridge door.

edit: i use the dei-105. already has the ss probe and works fine.

i prefer my fridge to short-cycle rather than be trying to cool 78L of wort in one go.
I leave it attached to a can of coke on top of the fermenter and set the Mashmaster Fridgemate (love it!) to 1-2C below what temp I'm after. Then I zap the side of the fermenter with the non-contact thermometer and adjust a degree here and there.

If I had a kickarse freezer, I'd think about a probe into the wort, but I don't think fridges are designed to chill 78L rapidly.

Latest posts

Back