Fridge Or Freezer For Kegs And Fermentors?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
G'day all,

I spotted a new freezer (210l @ $399) today and was keen to buy one for a kegerator and another as a brew fridge.

Any suggestions for why or why not?
It looks like I may be able to squeeze 5 kegs in (and 5 tap font) or 2 fermentors. That will replace my current fridge/kegerator and my brew fridge at a cheaper price.

The current units were damaged in the June storms last year in the Hunter, and are either broken or not working efficiently. The insurance money has come through and (*content removed to to political sensitivity*) I have a bit less than I was expecting.
My screw-lidded fermentors will fit OK, but the clip-on lid ones are too big for 2 at a time.

I'm currently checking the dimensions to see if I can fit 5 kegs as well (in the other unit and not with the fermentors).

Any suggestions on raising these guys above the water when (not if) it floods again?
I've had a suggestion that I put them on a pallet and lift it via pulleys.

Sorry, the current units are already spoken for... :(

Bring on the advice.
Les

Buy them secondhand and spend the change on the keg setup.

Ive got a chest freezer that I use for fermenting that i welded up a frame underneath it and put 4 shopping trolley wheels on it. This makes it high enough that I can rack the beer out of it into a keg and lets it be wheeled about easily.

G'day all,

I spotted a new freezer (210l @ $399) today and was keen to buy one for a kegerator and another as a brew fridge.

Any suggestions for why or why not?
It looks like I may be able to squeeze 5 kegs in (and 5 tap font) or 2 fermentors. That will replace my current fridge/kegerator and my brew fridge at a cheaper price.

The current units were damaged in the June storms last year in the Hunter, and are either broken or not working efficiently. The insurance money has come through and (*content removed to to political sensitivity*) I have a bit less than I was expecting.
My screw-lidded fermentors will fit OK, but the clip-on lid ones are too big for 2 at a time.

I'm currently checking the dimensions to see if I can fit 5 kegs as well (in the other unit and not with the fermentors).

Any suggestions on raising these guys above the water when (not if) it floods again?
I've had a suggestion that I put them on a pallet and lift it via pulleys.

Sorry, the current units are already spoken for... :(

Bring on the advice.
Les

Definitely the way to go Les, I am using an (all) fridge for my fermenting fridge and its good but it takes a long time to crash chill, a freezer would do this easily. And as for a serving fridge, same goes just be careful that the temp probe doesn't come out or you'll freeze your beer.
As for new vs old, if you can afford it, I would go new. but you can get some good deals at auctions (seconds) etc

Jay

I like the chest freezer thing a lot and just bought a 215L one myself as a keggerator. 4 kegs straight, 5 and maybe 6 with a collar. I will be running 2 x 2 tap fonts and a lever action water pump for chilled water and the occasional handpumped ale.

But, how's your back? You do have to lift your kegs and/or fermentors up and over into it. And you cant just whack em down in there, you have to lower slowly or you will smash up the interior. So if you aren't up to holding 30 odd kg fermentors at arms length on a regular basis???

The other thing with using a chest freezer is something that was pointed out to my by John at G&G (so no personal experience) - its that because they are operating at lower than their design temperatures, they get a bit of condensation around their cooling coils, this apparently leads to corrosion of the coils and shortens the freezer's lifespan. Still looking at a decade or so of happy usage, but less than you would expect from the unit otherwise.

Some way to raise the thing up would be good (as Paul pointed out) for racking as well as floods, so you don't have to try and pull full fermentors out of there. Maybe just build the whole thing on a little walk up platform made out of a few pallets. Up a couple of steps to pour your beer, out of the water; & racking etc can happen into vessels at ground level. Kind of like a stage for you keggerator.

TB

Cheers for the info on chest freezers Thirsty Boy.

Ive been told before that a chest freezer will die prematurely when used as a fridge and when ive asked why ive never been given an answer that i could understand.

I wouldn't buy new. I picked my 220L chest freezer up for just over $100 (IIRC). It was like new (they still sell the same model at Good Guys for $550).

This weekend I managed to fit 4 kegs in mine without a collar, and could probably manage 5 and a gas bottle with a collar. Never heard about them dieing prematurely if used at fridge temps - but have heard lots about the energy costs you'll save when you use them at fridge temps. So - save money running them as fridges vs potentially risk losing one after 10 years?

A chest freezer IMHO is the way to go. I have had mine in service for 3 years now and it has not missed a beat. The occasional clean on the inside is all I do because of the condensation that can sometimes form. The only PITA as those who use a chesty would know is the lifting of the keg all the time. Depending on how much room you have go for it.

BYB

A chest freezer IMHO is the way to go. I have had mine in service for 3 years now and it has not missed a beat. The occasional clean on the inside is all I do because of the condensation that can sometimes form. The only PITA as those who use a chesty would know is the lifting of the keg all the time. Depending on how much room you have go for it.

BYB

I agree,I have one for keg serving and one for fermenting.
And I have a fridge or two as well :lol: but one freezer will fit five fermenters.

I am a little interested in how long these things last running as we make them do.If you do use one check out this thread and vote.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry374155

Batz

I agree,I have one for keg serving and one for fermenting.
And I have a fridge or two as well :lol: but one freezer will fit five fermenters.

I am a little interested in how long these things last running as we make them do.If you do use one check out this thread and vote.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry374155

Batz

Same as Batz, except the large one is for CCing kegs, the smaller for fermenting, not counting the Freezer/fridge for serving, so 3 freezers and a couple of fridges, and just got rid of a couple of fridges to new brewers. :unsure:

I've been looking on eBait for 2nd hand items, and nearly bought a monster freezer today, but got sniped by a snake and a dollar. It was local enough to collect with a trailer, too.

Are the glass sliding top freezers any good? Can you make a lid for them, or just leave the glass in place for insulation?

My new foray is likely to be fraught with many pitfalls, and all advice will be considered.
I'm now looking at one new freezer (210 litre) for kegs and another bigger second-handie for fermentor and cc'ing of kegged beers.

Please keep the advice coming.
Beerz
Les

Are the glass sliding top freezers any good? Can you make a lid for them, or just leave the glass in place for insulation?

Please keep the advice coming.
Beerz
Les

My sister has a used icecream freezer that she had in her shop. Its the glass lid type that you speak of. I will be sniping it from her shortly for use as a fermentation fridge once I install / get my the tempmate. It should hold at least 3 fermenters. I have some thick white styrene foam that I will place on top to retain the cold. Although one would think that it should be fine with out it.

BYB

Just to put a spanner in the works ...

I did have a chest freezer. The poor thing couldn't handle the trip over west. :(

I was looking at another chest freezer but ended up getting a secondhand upright freezer for a good price. All of the colling coils are in the walls and nothing exposed. Works a treat and I don't have to lift all of the kegs up and over the side of a chest freezer. I welded up a shelf and put it inside to hold four kegs with another two in the bottom in front of the compressor hump. Been going for just under 18 months now and hasn't skipped a beat.

gary

Latest posts

Back