Fridge fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old beer fridge in our garage I can put my wort in to ferment but have a question. I don't want to appear thick but do I turn the fridge off? As I'm not sure it can go as high as 18° needed to ferment the beer.

Yeah mate I do if the day time temp is not too hot where you are at the moment you would be surprised how stable the fridge will be at around the 18-19 degrees. I have mine plugged into a box that is controlled by an STC 1000 which has a heat and a cool function so if it's starts to get too hot the fridge turns on for a bit and likewis if too cool there is a heat belt in there that comes on.

regards,
Norto.

Yeah mate I do if the day time temp is not too hot where you are at the moment you would be surprised how stable the fridge will be at around the 18-19 degrees. I have mine plugged into a box that is controlled by an STC 1000 which has a heat and a cool function so if it's starts to get too hot the fridge turns on for a bit and likewis if too cool there is a heat belt in there that comes on.

regards,
Norto.
Snap

A fridge is a great insulated box.

If you've just started brewing, leave the fridge off, with the door closed. You'll find the wort while fermenting will usually be pretty close to the temperature you need. As the days heat up you can use the fridge and heat source to control your wort temperature, but you'll need an external temperature controller similar to the STC 1000 mentioned by Courtney Scott.

Latest posts

Back