Fresh Wort Kits. Are They Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man down ey?

Have to start training reinforcements.... :icon_cheers:

Chappo,

received the bottles in the post yesterday and am sampling now.

Not bad although i feel it lacks the punch of a big IPA nice and smooth but not a great amount of bitterness at the end for my likening of an IPA.

Good effort tho a very drinkable beer.

ad

Chappo,

received the bottles in the post yesterday and am sampling now.

Not bad although i feel it lacks the punch of a big IPA nice and smooth but not a great amount of bitterness at the end for my likening of an IPA.

Good effort tho a very drinkable beer.

ad

Yep that was my thoughts as well. Next time I would pepper it up with some extra hops, maybe even a boil with some of the FWK wort, just to give it a little more ommph! I actually thought it was a little over carbed myself as well but maybe that was the one bottle I tried?

Glad to have your feed back Adam. Cheers! :icon_cheers:

hear what your saying about slightly over carbed but think thats is to do with the beer being a bit to cold. i lift the largey out while i drank it and as the chill was knocked off it slightly it started to taste better

Put down a ND hefeweizen last week after reading this topic. Kept it simple to try and see what the plain kit was like. Used safbrew and fermented it for 8 days. Went into secondary for c'cing the other day and tasted quite nice then. Just need to wait for the weekend so i can keg it!

Put down a ND hefeweizen last week after reading this topic. Kept it simple to try and see what the plain kit was like. Used safbrew and fermented it for 8 days. Went into secondary for c'cing the other day and tasted quite nice then. Just need to wait for the weekend so i can keg it!

Sounds good andrewl lets us know how she is tasting.

+1

I really do think with these FWK's you need to brew a plain "Jane" base one first, to see what it needs, then you can work up what other additions to do to spice it up. My 1st FWK is all gone now but have since brewed 2 more and each time they got better and better IMO. Since going AG I actually change my mind and reckon they are worth it simply because of their no-fuss nature and they produce a decent drop with NO or LITTLE EFFORT. Last one was an Irish Red "Kilkenny" clone that I peppered up with a hop tea, dry hopping and 1087 yeasties. Sensational drop.

Good luck with it Andrew you won't be disappointed and the results will be very close to a good AG if not better.

I have been doing the LHBS kits that they source ( from Mountain Goat here in Vic ) for 3 years now.I have always done a mini mash with FWK's or at least a hop addition so as to produce anything from a straight out ale or pilsener to a smoked bock .I've been more than happy with the results.Lets face it...it's better than doing a partial and infinitely better than a K&K and the troops keep coming back for more ! It is basically no-chill brewing from a craft brewer that he on-sells.
I will say though...i have just started doing AG...and i do love that because it's all MY own homemade you beaut beer...not a damn fine base with my own flavor additions
Anyway my 2c...
Must go...off to the LHBS..
Making my third all grain
Micktoberfest...from last years ANHBC...
Cheers

Hi,

Have done two of these so far (Brewers Selection) Original Porter and Norwest Pale Ale. Both very nice. So much better than kits.

Has anyone done the Brewers Selection Wheat beer? Think its the Hefeweizen. Whats it like?

Ben

Hi,

Have done two of these so far (Brewers Selection) Original Porter and Norwest Pale Ale. Both very nice. So much better than kits.

Has anyone done the Brewers Selection Wheat beer? Think its the Hefeweizen. Whats it like?

Ben

Yeh shark, I did the St Peters hefeweizen and split into two batches with diferent yeasts.
One with Danstar Munich and the other with a Weizen German lager.(2 brews for the price of , well 1 & a 1/2)

German lager yeast was more clove, than the Danstar Munich which was more banana.

At the time I thought they were better or above the quality of my K&K and K&bits to that date. Much fresher and somehow more exciting/zesty, and a challenge to explore yeast flavours.
Saying that, upon taste tests, I still thought they lacked something but couldnt say what. Maybe my brewing skills need refining or maybe hefes aint my fav taste.
I didnt see any point adding extra hops as they are suposedly driven by their yeast flavours.
That was a year ago.
Next w/e Im trying an AG wheat. We'll see if Ive lifted my game.

Overall I would recommend you give it a go. Most of the fresh wort kits are very good. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Shark,

Recently cracked the first bottles of the Hefeweizen, and they are tops.

Don't need any more hopping, in fact they tasted hoppier than commercial Hefe's I have had.

Beautiful drop, and when time is short I may looking at doing the FWK's again (this is the only one I have done)

Marlow

On an OT note - I am going to use the FWK's as an easy way for people to get into brewing. They have a much better chance of getting it right with a FWK the first time around, and IMO get a much better beer than trying the K+K or K+bits approach.
I reckon it will hook a few extra people into the hobby.

Thanks guys. Will pick one up next week. Guess I better just work my through the whole ND brewing range :) :) :)

Were can i buy these? They sound belter. Would be goop for when i can't make my own. Do you just add suger and water and firment? I would be well chuffed if i can get a nice pub mild

Ragmans Coat -> Where abouts do you live? Local HBS normally stock them.

Just add 5 litres of water. Makes 20 litres of wort.

The Brewers Selection is fresh from the kettles of St. Peters Brewery in Sydney, to your fermenter. Made from only the freshest Australian and imported malted barley, hops, and water. Full mash quality without the hard work. All you have to do is add the yeast.

Our range includes:

Aussie Pale Ale A classic, easy drinking, session beer. A great thirst quencher on a hot summers day! Try it with either the DCL SO-4 dried yeast or the White Labs WLP005.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Coopers Pale Ale

Czech Pilsner The brilliant Golden colour results from the combination of locally grown Pilsner & Munich malts. Generous additions of Saaz hops create a pronounced floral spicy finish and wonderful herbaceous aroma. Goes great with the DCL W34/70 Lager yeast, or any of the White Labs lager yeasts.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilsner.

Lager A traditional German style Lager. Bright straw colour with a balance of malt & hop flavours. Goes great with the DCL W34/70 Lager yeast, or any of the White Labs lager yeasts.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Becks, Heineken

Chocolate Porter Roast barley & wheat help create the rich dark chocolate flavours that separate this Porter from other dark ales. Generous additions of East Kent Goldings hops create a delicately complex beer

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire Porter.

Norwest Pale Ale (American Pale) - This Pale Ale is all about big Cascade hopped flavour, well-balanced with a big zesty citrus hop aroma, full malt character with a big bitter finish. Try it with the DCL US-56 Dried yeast or White Labs WLP001.

Comparable Commercial Beer Little Creatures Pale Ale

India Pale Ale - The use of locally grown Pale & Munich malts, create a rich, golden colour, with a robust, malt character. Generous additions of kettle hops early in the boil, help build a characteristic highly hopped bitterness with a crisp finish on the palate. The earthy, floral aromas of UK grown Fuggles hops are the signature of this hand crafted traditional India Pale Ale. Try it with either the DCL SO-4 dried yeast or the White Labs WLP023.

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire IPA, Gage Roads IPA

Amarillo Ale - I have to admit that it isn't the most imaginative name, but the two late additions of Amarillo hops will really stand out in this refreshingly crisp "Golden" style ale. Try it with the DCL US-56 Dried yeast or White Labs WLP001.

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire Golden Ale.

Hefeweizen - A traditional German Hefeweizen. Low on hop flavours with a large percentage of locally grown wheat in the grain bill. The use of a low flocculating wheat style yeast it will create a cloudy finish, true to style.

Celtic Red Ale - A malt driven full bodied beer, moderately hopped, with a brilliant rust red colour. Along the lines of a Kilkenny style Red Ale, this is certain to be a popular drop. Try it with the White Labs Liquid yeast, WLP004 Irish Ale yeast, or the safale SO4 dried yeast.

Ragmans Coat -> Where abouts do you live? Local HBS normally stock them.

Just add 5 litres of water. Makes 20 litres of wort.

The Brewers Selection is fresh from the kettles of St. Peters Brewery in Sydney, to your fermenter. Made from only the freshest Australian and imported malted barley, hops, and water. Full mash quality without the hard work. All you have to do is add the yeast.

Our range includes:

Aussie Pale Ale – A classic, easy drinking, session beer. A great thirst quencher on a hot summer's day! Try it with either the DCL SO-4 dried yeast or the White Labs WLP005.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Coopers Pale Ale

Czech Pilsner – The brilliant Golden colour results from the combination of locally grown Pilsner & Munich malts. Generous additions of Saaz hops create a pronounced floral spicy finish and wonderful herbaceous aroma. Goes great with the DCL W34/70 Lager yeast, or any of the White Labs lager yeasts.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilsner.

Lager – A traditional German style Lager. Bright straw colour with a balance of malt & hop flavours. Goes great with the DCL W34/70 Lager yeast, or any of the White Labs lager yeasts.

Comparable Commercial Beer - Becks, Heineken

Chocolate Porter – Roast barley & wheat help create the rich dark chocolate flavours that separate this Porter from other dark ales. Generous additions of East Kent Goldings hops create a delicately complex beer

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire Porter.

Norwest Pale Ale (American Pale) - This Pale Ale is all about big Cascade hopped flavour, well-balanced with a big zesty citrus hop aroma, full malt character with a big bitter finish. Try it with the DCL US-56 Dried yeast or White Labs WLP001.

Comparable Commercial Beer Little Creatures Pale Ale

India Pale Ale - The use of locally grown Pale & Munich malts, create a rich, golden colour, with a robust, malt character. Generous additions of kettle hops early in the boil, help build a characteristic highly hopped bitterness with a crisp finish on the palate. The earthy, floral aromas of UK grown Fuggles hops are the signature of this hand crafted traditional India Pale Ale. Try it with either the DCL SO-4 dried yeast or the White Labs WLP023.

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire IPA, Gage Roads IPA

Amarillo Ale - I have to admit that it isn't the most imaginative name, but the two late additions of Amarillo hops will really stand out in this refreshingly crisp "Golden" style ale. Try it with the DCL US-56 Dried yeast or White Labs WLP001.

Comparable Commercial Beer James Squire Golden Ale.

Hefeweizen - A traditional German Hefeweizen. Low on hop flavours with a large percentage of locally grown wheat in the grain bill. The use of a low flocculating wheat style yeast it will create a cloudy finish, true to style.

Celtic Red Ale - A malt driven full bodied beer, moderately hopped, with a brilliant rust red colour. Along the lines of a Kilkenny style Red Ale, this is certain to be a popular drop. Try it with the White Labs Liquid yeast, WLP004 Irish Ale yeast, or the safale SO4 dried yeast.

Thanks shark i am located near cairns currently. Which retailer would be nearest?

I think the ND kits are awesome, I've done most of them and with a little extra hops added taste great. Favourites are the Norwest, Hef and Amarillo. Even the bare bones bitter tastes great. B) B) B)

I've brewed a few of the FWK's and have been impressed so far. They aren't as involved, but you get a good quality product at the end.

The Cerny Pivo was a wonderful drop, only made it up to 18l. I find most of the FWK's do better when less than the 5l water is added.

Norwest Pale Ale i went for something extra hoppy, so boiled 25g of Cascade hops and then left the bag in the fermenter, and made it up to 19l.

I've just put down a Heffe at Easter that was with 25g Saaz and 500g Dry wheat spray malt, to give it some extra body again to 19l. Will have to see how it comes out.

But what do people do with the used containers?.. i've got 3 now sitting in the cellar, but surely they are re-suable for something ;)

But what do people do with the used containers?.. i've got 3 now sitting in the cellar, but surely they are re-suable for something ;)
Where are you BlueDoors? I can take them off your hands if you're close to me, or in Sydney?
cheers, mckenry

I'm up to my 5th FWK from ND now. Best beer I've ever brewed from a kit. The Summer Ale has been my favourite. The Porter has been very similar to a Toohey's Old. And the Aussie Pale Ale is very similar to a Cooper's Red.

I just add 5 liters and thenput them in my brewing fridge where I'm fortunate to be able to maintain a constant 18-20 degrees. My next try will be one of the lagers which I should manage to brew at 12 degrees with the supplied Saflager yeast.

For anyone wanting to try them I can't recommend them highly enough. Easiest way to get a quality beer at a reasonable price.

Cheers.

Bluedoors, I buy mine from Peakhurst HBS so I just take the containers back for a $3 refund.

Latest posts

Back