Fresh Wort Kits. Are They Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

The IPA is at 1012 @ 18C - Some more hoppy flavours are starting to come through.
If the 1012 holds for another dayor so I am going to rack to secondary and fine 72 hours CC for 24/48 and bottle. Still nervious about the hops but I'm going to stick to the plan and SJ's suggestions and leave it alone...

Oh and the airlock has stopped! :lol:

Oh and the airlock has stopped! :lol:

Quick, grab the phone and dial 1800-BUTTERS and if that line is busy (there are a lot of newbs around!!) try 1800-DEADKITTEN

Good to hear the IPA is coming along nicely. As a side point, i was wandering the aisles of Dan Murphys last night and stopped to read the label of a Squires IPA. Sounded quite similar to the description of the FWK you got from Craftbrewer.

You could go out grab one and taste it, however this will do one of two things:

1. You will enjoy it and relax about the beer you are fermenting and calmly wait for it to condition and then drink it all up

2. You will hate it, and dread every second it sits in the secondary, hate every moment you spend bottling and curse the the filled bottles while carbonate and condition.

The choice is yours, choose wisely.

(Disclaimer for both options the final beer you produce may be nothing like the Squires IPA and you will disappointed or overjoyed regardless)

I don't think this has been a very helpful post for you, but i thought i would throw the idea out there anyway!

:icon_cheers: SJ

Quick, grab the phone and dial 1800-BUTTERS and if that line is busy (there are a lot of newbs around!!) try 1800-DEADKITTEN

:lol: LOL! I am sure Butters is going to hunt be down like a dog and skin me alive one day for starting that thread!

... Squires IPA. Sounded quite similar to the description of the FWK you got from Craftbrewer.

You could go out grab one and taste it, however this will do one of two things:

1. You will enjoy it and relax about the beer you are fermenting and calmly wait for it to condition and then drink it all up

2. You will hate it, and dread every second it sits in the secondary, hate every moment you spend bottling and curse the the filled bottles while carbonate and condition.

The choice is yours, choose wisely.

(Disclaimer for both options the final beer you produce may be nothing like the Squires IPA and you will disappointed or overjoyed regardless)

I don't think this has been a very helpful post for you, but i thought i would throw the idea out there anyway!

SJ YOUR BLOODY RIGHT your not helping! <_< ...but thanks for keeping my rants in mind!

That's going to do my head in now. I work near a very good cellar that sells Squires IPA, I know I saw it last week and nearly bought it. Bought a carton of LCBA instead! :p Now the tempation is going to be too big to ignore. Buggar it! I am going to get it and convince myself that it's megaswill and mine will taste better!!

Hey you set for the big day yet?

Getting there, ordering grain etc tomorrow and picking up on friday. Just been down the road at lunch to grab a few S/S fittings so i swap out the tap from the Urn to a ball valve.

It's gettings close and i'm getting excited!!!!

:lol: LOL! I am sure Butters is going to hunt be down like a dog and skin me alive one day for starting that thread!

I'll leave your assisination in the hands of my little friend....
i_love_kittens.jpg

Edit: Beer up yer nose, Chappo?

Update time:

The IPA is at 1010 @ 18C (last 3 days) - Definitely good flavours have developed through it.
The 1010 held for 3 days now so I am going to rack to secondary tonight and fine 48 hours CC for 24hrs and bottle. STILL nervious about the hops but I'm going to stick to the plan and SJ's suggestions and leave it alone...

Adraine, SJ and TB the bottles will be in the mail next week, they will be fresh of the press so depending on how long it takes to get to you, they might need another week to condition properly. I will PM when they are definitely on the way.

SJ by the way I tried the James Squire IPA as you suggested on Friday night. I would be hugely impressed if it turned out anywhere near that drop. :wub:

Mmmmm.... can't wait!!!

(I'm sure my first bit of feedback will read: Definitely not enough hop flavour/aroma/bitterness........ :p )

sweet mate im looking forward to trying a fwk.

I may have to change from the Czech pilsiner that i had planned. my LHBS doesnt carry that one. will keep you posted.

Cool Adraine... keep us in the loop! I love a Pilsner though? A suggestion was made not to long ago that sounded good I'll see if I can dig it up?

Update time yet again:

The IPA is still at 1010 @ 18C (last 4 days) - Definitely good smooth flavours have developed through it, lost the sweetness but still a nice hint of malts but I'm still not happy with the hops flavour and aroma, it's lacking a finish IMO. I was "that far" (holding thumb and forefinger together) away from drying hopping it last night with some cascades but thought better of it. Damn conscience! :angry: It will interesting to see what the other guys think of it when they try it?

I racked to secondary cube last night and fined. I'm going to hold it for 24 hours CC for 48hrs and bottle on Saturday.

So all things being equal I'm on track to have then in the post say Monday morning.

It's all sounding good. Can't wait to try it!

Update time yet again:

The IPA is still at 1010 @ 18C (last 4 days) - Definitely good smooth flavours have developed through it, lost the sweetness but still a nice hint of malts but I'm still not happy with the hops flavour and aroma, it's lacking a finish IMO. I was "that far" (holding thumb and forefinger together) away from drying hopping it last night with some cascades but thought better of it. Damn conscience! :angry: It will interesting to see what the other guys think of it when they try it?

I racked to secondary cube last night and fined. I'm going to hold it for 24 hours CC for 48hrs and bottle on Saturday.

So all things being equal I'm on track to have then in the post say Monday morning.

Sounds like its a well cared for beer Chappo.
Im sure it will be great.
Looking forward to the taste test.

Adam

Edit: typo

UPDATE:

I resisted dry hopping this brew but I am sure that it will need it. Maybe I am turning into a hophead? Alright the FWK has been bulk primed and is the bottles. All I can do now it wait and taste test in 2 weeks.

Bottled 25 tallies which ain't bad considering I racked to clear. I did notice that in the trub and the second vessle that there was a fair amount of what looks break material. Maybe I got the last of a batch?

Guys, Adam and Supra-doopra-Jim, your samples have been packaged and will be sent today at lunchtime! I would love your feedback on these as well.

Chappo,

Got the 2 bottles of FWK today......Thanks.

Are they the same brew or 2 different brews? the only reason i ask is the caps have FWK 1 & FWK 2 on them.

I will be tasting tomorrow after work (Time to chill and settle) will let you know my thoughts for what its worth..

I have the pils down and still fermenting. so got a few week left yet before you see him. But its coming i promise.

Cheers Adam :beer:

Look forward to it Adam.
Supra-Jim had one dead marine in his package but I guess 3 outa 4 ain't bad.

Hope you llike 'em. I wasn't impressed to start but they got a lot better. Down to the last 6 tallies...eeppp! Might have to get brewing!

Latest posts

Back