Fresh Wort - Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekhenry

Reaction score
I've read all the posts about how much better AG brewing is but cant afford to jump in just yet. I really want to try an AG but dont know anybody who brews them - is it worth getting an fresh wort to try the difference between kits an AG? or are they compleatley different again.
Bek

Never tried the FWK, bek, but from what I've read about how they are produced, and the results that others have got using them, I would say that it would be a good comparison.

Basically, to my understanding, they are 15L concentrated wort that you then top up to 21-23L. This is not unlike what a lot of brewers do at home (myself included) to be able to do a double batch using equipment thats not quite big enough to handle the full volume. In other words, a stronger batch is made at a lower volume, that allows you to water it back down just prior to pitching. Just with my own brews, the flavour difference between doing this, and doing a single brew to full volume is negligable.

I have read a lot of posts on here in the past from kit and extract brewers that try fwk for the same reasons that you are thinking of....to see if it is worth going to AG. The overwhelming response tends to be positive.

Edit: be aware that trying AG beer is hazard. It's a slippery slope, and once you start down it, you probably won't come back. :p

I've read all the posts about how much better AG brewing is but cant afford to jump in just yet. I really want to try an AG but dont know anybody who brews them - is it worth getting an fresh wort to try the difference between kits an AG?.
Bek

Absolutely, although it might be an idea to add more hops to the FWK & to add the yeast of your choice.
It is plain to all that I have never tried a FWK but going by posts on this forum that is the way I would go if I was so inclined.
Someone is going to correct me here I'm sure? ;)

TP :beer:

The Fresh Wort kits is grain brewing - only difference made at a larger plant than at your home.

For the line I produce, dunno why you would add more hops - the amber and pils have a-plenty in them and are to style.

Scotty

I think that with any product that is tried for the first time, whether it is fwk, 3.5kg kit, or even anything not brewing related, it's important to try the first one as is, and to directions, unless there is a hell of a lot of evidence to do it to the contrary. Otherwise, what do you have to compare it to if you do want to improve it?. Very important imho to do one as a 'normal'.
Just my 2c.

I think that with any product that is tried for the first time, whether it is fwk, 3.5kg kit, or even anything not brewing related, it's important to try the first one as is, and to directions, unless there is a hell of a lot of evidence to do it to the contrary. Otherwise, what do you have to compare it to if you do want to improve it?. Very important imho to do one as a 'normal'.
Just my 2c.

absolutely agree
use a bog-standard one as the control and add whatever you want next time
I love the hefeweizen at this time of the year - I can't help myself and chuck in lots of fruity hops for aroma....go down far too easily :chug:

I too am not at the all grain stage yet (but am slowly collecting bits to get there), but have advanced slightly from the can of goo and kilo of sugar.
I am using Country Brewer wetpacks. They are a can (about 3L) of malt and hops which you boil for an hour with water, while soaking the garin in hot water. Add the water from the grain at the end of the boil, then bring to the boil again. More hops added after the boil. Chill, then add to fermenter with water to top up to 20L.
I have had consistantly good results and the difference between the wetpack & the kit & kilo is amazing. I am also dry hopping to my particular tastes, but always do a new kit without any extras first time up.
Country Brewer arent the only place that do these types of kits, but as I dont know where you are, I cant point you in the right direction.
Give it a go if you can find them.

Thanks for that guys - im going to try the fwk and see how it goes. I havent seen country brewer but i havent been looking either - im near sutherland in sydney so i'll see if my local has something like that.
Thanks again and good drinking!
Bek

Thanks for that guys - im going to try the fwk and see how it goes. - im near sutherland in sydney so i'll see if my local has something like that.
Thanks again and good drinking!
Bek

Go see Kev at Kirrawee Home Brew, the fresh wort kits are still hot they are so fresh!
James

Latest posts

Back