Freezer Working When I Got It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That forum member Timmy the fridge guy is never bloody here when you want him! :(

stagga.
yep..........

bang.gif

Its all good today.
Left it off overnight and turned him on this morning with the fridgemate connected and away it went.
Got it set to 22 now with a fermenter of pale in it. Will drop it to 18 this evening when the yeast starts working.
Thanks for all the replies. I will know what to do next time.

:icon_chickcheers:

A fridge , a freezer or and AC , it is all the same.

the oil, or lubricant in the system is just that, in the system, it travels around with the gas and keeps everything lubed, which we all know is good.

the main drama with a fridge or freezer is they have an "oil bath" compressor (same as your home AC), which doesnt like to be tilted as oil can get in places in quantities that it would not in normal operation. the compressor can then be trying to compress a liquid, which does not work too well.

I have moved heaps of fridges on thier side, stand them up, give them at least an hour, over night is better and fire up, listen to the compressor, does it sound different to what it does usually, if so, turn off and wait some more,, I have never lost a patient yet.

Still have a Malleys Tuckerbox that when I first got it, I tipped it over to get the old water out. Stood it up and tried to fire it up half an hour later, no go. The compressor would hum and get hot and then I assume the thermal overload would kick in a minute later. Got frustrated, grabbed a big screwdriver and thumped the compressor housing with the handle a couple of times and its been running ever since. Touch wood! I'd love to know how they work inside the compressor and whether the couple of thumps made any difference...

Well it worked most of the day but then refused to kick in again about 5pm. Dunno if the 40C temps are affecting it or not. Unplugged it and put a block of ice in it. Will plug it back in again tommorow and try again.
Not looking good me thinks :unsure:

Oh yeah, the fermenter slipped out of my hands about a foot from the bottom of the freezer and landed with a thump. Maybe this unsettled things again ?

Plugged it it this morning and nothing so I just left it plugged in through the fridgemate. Got home at lunch and it was down from 24 to 17 and working again.
Its got me stuffed :angry:

Remember there's a compressor delay on the fridgemate, even when you first switch it on.

Id be removing the fridge mate and fermenter, putting a water bottle in and leaving switched on to see if it frezzes the water to make sure it works.

KHB

I'm another one who says YES you can lay it on its side. Just make sure you get the correct side down, although many sites say there is not a correct way. Always leave a fridge for a few hours after transit, even if you did transport it upright.

QldKev

How do you have the fridgemate set up, what compressor start delay have you set.

Screwy

Yep unplug the fridgemate and try it again

Back