So I bought a freezer and font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished the sleeve. I think it will match ok.
IMG_0207.JPG
Needs a bit more polishing I think.

Surgery day!
IMG_8378.JPG
I made a jig for the font, this way I can have a helper rotate the font while I cut using an angle grinder with cutting blade attached.
Cut really well, after cutting checked for squareness and I cleaned the edge up with a flap disk.
Gave one side a bit of a polish - I swear I could spend a couple of hours polishing this thing.
FullSizeRender.jpg
I won't join it properly until I mount it on a stainless steel plinth I'm having folded up.

That looks F@#ken awesome, with the font you got I would have been pissin myself having to cut it, and I think I said before there will be tears shed in many a brewers home, but call me Sharron if ya haven't made fools of them! Love ya work! Now ya just gotta justify it with a shit hot finish on the keezer.

good luck

MJ

PS: I'll be watching this, if you went this far just for the font, then lets just say you've now set the bench mark for the rest of the build. :icon_drool2:

Cheers MJ,
Wasn't too much trouble. $5 worth of pine, a few screws about an hour to set up. Then about 10 minutes to cut another 10 to clean up.
All done in between a mountain bike ride and kids Saturday sport. :)
gotta wait for the stainless plinth before I do any more.

- I've got the four tap off cut if anyone wants to hold a wake!

malt junkie said:
That looks F@#ken awesome, with the font you got I would have been pissin myself having to cut it, and I think I said before there will be tears shed in many a brewers home, but call me Sharron if ya haven't made fools of them! Love ya work!
+1

I was probably one of the naysayers to begin with, but got a bit more interested as I saw the renders etc. I also started to think that you wont be dealing with nearly the same flow rate as a commercial glycol pump. Fingers are well and truly crossed for a successful outcome!

Maybe cap the ends of your offcut, and make a manifold out of it? Should be a walk in the park for a bloke with your skills. :) (I have no idea what you would use it for though!)

EDIT TO ADD: I can't remember the diameter of the o ring that sits between the nipples and the flood kits. I may have some that suit in the shed. Send me PM if you like, and I will mail you a few if I have. (Then I can bask in a little of the glory! :D )

Pnutapper said:
+1

I was probably one of the naysayers to begin with, but got a bit more interested as I saw the renders etc. I also started to think that you wont be dealing with nearly the same flow rate as a commercial glycol pump. Fingers are well and truly crossed for a successful outcome!

Maybe cap the ends of your offcut, and make a manifold out of it? Should be a walk in the park for a bloke with your skills. :) (I have no idea what you would use it for though!)

EDIT TO ADD: I can't remember the diameter of the o ring that sits between the nipples and the flood kits. I may have some that suit in the shed. Send me PM if you like, and I will mail you a few if I have. (Then I can bask in a little of the glory! :D )

Cheers,
I've sent you a message.
I'm just going to use water and a small pond or fish tank pump. I want to use an impeller type pump that will allow the font to drain in between uses.
I was thinking about re using the offcut over the weekend. It wouldn't be too hard to mount it between timber posts. I'm picturing a timber clad keezer with 100x100 timber posts and the chrome 3" pipe in between. Nice stainless drip tray underneath. It would look pretty good I think. Not something I need though.

Picked up the Plinth today! Something else to polish.

IMG_8385.JPG

So I'll need to polish this and cut holes to mount the font.
Recycled Stainless with 30 x 150 x 998 mm HDPE insert (makes it solid) $140.
I'll mount a couple of fans underneath power and gas will come in at the back of this (its about 12mm higher than the freezer collar).

Last edited:
Busy day today. Brewed one. Kegged one. And did some work on my keezer.
Measured the spacing for the holes, had a beer, took a deep breath and started cutting. Bought a cheapo Bi metal hole saw - it broke halfway through the second hole. So I guess I'll be returning that one.

IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0220.JPG
Did a trial fit so I could work out where the gas and power needs to come in from the back.
IMG_0221.JPG

I'll finish polishing the plinth and run all the new beer lines tomorrow. I might even seal it up and do a leak test

Reckon you might need to paint that freezer. Schmick looking font will look out of place.

Put my font together today!
I've glued the sleeve in place with a good quality Sikaflex product and bolted it to the plinth with a strap for extra security while it sets.
I've also put all new seals in including the flood kit curtesy of Pnutapper. I was having trouble finding them but Pnutapper chased them down for me. Thanks mate.

I've mounted the taps with new handles (Again from Pnutapper- very handy) just to have a gander! :)

IMG_8552.jpg

Looking good mate , now time to hook in to that keezer, and get everything setup and leak tested.
Gotta wait 2 weeks for the lid to get finished. :(
It's double glazed panel using toughened glass. It's the glass toughening that takes the time.
I got some stainless folded up to frame it. So it should look ok.
In the meantime I can get sorted with the water reservoir for the chilling and the pump. I've also got to hook up the fans and some led light inside so I don't forget to turn it off. :)

Finished the keezer today.
Font - no leaks.
Pond pump with 10 litre reservoir chills it down well.
The LED lights are connected to the pump so hopefully they will remind me to turn it off when not using it.
Now I just need to fill it with beer.
IMG_240.jpg
IMG_242.jpg
IMG_243.jpg

Looking good, and for all the doubters ....

They said you’d never make it, but you finally came through, for all of you who’ve made it, this one’s made for you…made for you…this one’s made for you…you made it through and this one’s made for you

Looking good, and for all the doubters ....

They said you’d never make it, but you finally came through, for all of you who’ve made it, this one’s made for you…made for you…this one’s made for you…you made it through and this one’s made for you
But I made it for myself:group:

Back