So I bought a freezer and font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cranky

Reaction score
I bought this old Peter's Drumstick Freezer for $100 last year and its been going great with a controller.
I've got a few kegs in there with a manifold and gas all hooked up with party taps at the moment.
it will fit 6 without the gas. so should be big enough for me!
The other week I picked up this old flooded font with 8 taps for $200.

So the project is gong to be to cut down the font from 10 outlet to 6 outlet and fit to the freezer.
I thought I'd buy some 76mm triclover flanges a gasket and triclover clamp to rejoin the font in the middle.
Then id ditch the lids on the freezer and fix an aluminum section across the back to support the font then have a small double glazed frame (lid) made to fit the remaining opening.
the lid would just lift out completely when needed to swap kegs or just lift one side for other stuff.

I have to work out the flooded bit but I'm thinking a tank and pump sitting on the step in the freezer as well as a couple of fans and moving the gas to external.

Any other Ideas?

IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8287.JPG

Here's an idea, contact whoever sold you that font+taps for $200 and give them a hug. Christ that's a good deal.

Maybe some chalkboard adhesive coating so you can write what's on tap (and black looks awesome no matter what)?

Can't help with the build sorry. It wow what a buy! Keep us updated, would love to see how it turns out

mtb said:
Here's an idea, contact whoever sold you that font+taps for $200 and give them a hug. Christ that's a good deal.

Maybe some chalkboard adhesive coating so you can write what's on tap (and black looks awesome no matter what)?
yeah there's 6 plates with badges on them. I'll take the badges off and fix a little chalk board to the plate.

He had 3 or 4 of them, out of the old Irish club in Brisbane.

Would be a shame to cut down/shorten that awesome font, I'd just get a bigger freezer

I'd buy the stout taps off you after you delete them!
Just let me know what you don't need. Or we can swap for a more suitable font.

haha, I'm struggling to get 4 beers online at once. I'd never get 10!

2cranky said:
haha, I'm struggling to get 4 beers online at once. I'd never get 10!
Not with an attitude like that! :) Still too pretty to chop up IMO.

Do you know if the other fonts are still available?

breakbeer said:
Would be a shame to cut down/shorten that awesome font, I'd just get a bigger freezer
+1

Have you done this type of thing before? Are you confident that the symmetry will still be there if you cut a section out of the span?

Pnutapper said:
+1

Have you done this type of thing before? Are you confident that the symmetry will still be there if you cut a section out of the span?
What cut up something pretty? :D
Never built a keezer or cut down a font but I wont let that stop me.

Symmetry? Its a 10 outlet, I can cut 3 in from either end and finish up with 6 evenly spaced taps with a tri clamp in the middle, like the images below.
s-l500 (1).jpgs-l500.jpg

I haven't decided whether to leave a bit of extra space in the middle or leave the tap spacing even - I'll make up my mind on that when I get the clamp.
If the flanges don't support enough I'll sleeve the inside of the tube.

I can get a custom double glazed lid for under $100 plus the channel to frame it in.
I need a 150 x 20 section of something to mount the font on. I might need to get a piece of stainless folded.

Still looking at options for the flooding of the font.

This font is by no means pristine. It's chrome plated brass (i think) and the chrome is quite pitted.
It might polish up ok but I'm re purposing a bit of kit that was junked.

Digga said:
I'd buy the stout taps off you after you delete them!
Just let me know what you don't need. Or we can swap for a more suitable font.
Hey Digger I think I'll keep the stout taps - 1 at least. I only have one spout and its a plastic one. The other 2 will take a screw in spout though.
What would you suggest as a more suitable font? I was originally going to go for two triple T posts. But they are hard to get at a good price.

You can't just chop stainless and join it again with a triclover.

You need to weld on the triclover connections (with argon purge), and then pickle them. Apologies if you know this. stainless welding of tube is NOT for the beginner. If the font chrome-plated brass, you're going to deeply regret the decision to cut as it will be impossible to weld on triclovers and become useless.

The font is the valuable piece here, not the freezer.

fdsaasdf said:
Not with an attitude like that! :) Still too pretty to chop up IMO.

Do you know if the other fonts are still available?
don't think they are available - I texted him but no answer yet.

klangers said:
You can't just chop stainless and join it again with a triclover.

You need to weld on the triclover connections. Apologies if you know this. stainless welding of tube is NOT for the beginner. If it's chrome-plated brass, you're going to deeply regret the decision to cut.

The font is the valuable piece here, not the freezer.
Thanks Klangers,
I can't weld it without re chroming.
I wouldn't attempt to weld stainless to brass.
Why would I regret cutting chromed brass?

I'm counting on a tight fit and using an adhesive in the sleeve. The tube measures 75.4 mm so the flanges (ID 76mm) should be tight enough.

Ok Ill discuss this with an engineer I know.

Based on my experience with triclovers I am a little worried that simply using the clamp to hold the separated bits of tube (with adhesive) will be a bit physically weak. Pushing on and off beer taps places quite a bit of force and torque on the font.

Triclovers are strong if the triclover flanges are there, as they add significant stiffness and actually cause the clamp to pull the two pieces together. Then the joint is positively secured in 3 dimensions, and only relies on friction/adhesion for tube torque. If you don't have the flanges, then the tube can just slide right out. I know it's not being pressurised pipework, but I think you're better off getting a font that's suited to your size. I fear that by the time you've frankensteined this to be sufficiently strong, it's going to be rather ugly.

I got mine welded up at work from scratch, and I feel that was easier than what you're aiming for. It's goalpost with just two elbows, two BSM unions and a straight section with 8 holes. 4 welds. I had to attach the tap shanks and do the beer lines but that's easy (if fiddly). You're going to have to re-do the beer lines anyway if you cut it.

I say you'd regret cutting it if it's brass because:
  • As you say you'd most definitely need the whole thing re-chromed ($$$)
  • Brass can't be welded to anything and so as soon as it's cut I'd consider the font ruined unless you can get a feasible non-weld connection
If it's stainless then at least you can get someone to weld the triclovers on for you.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for the cost to hire/buy the gear necessary to TIG weld the triclover on (to do it properly) or fabricated/bought a non-weld coupling, and re-chromed, you may as well buy a new one.

I have no doubt that you'll get it working, but I think you're better off either paying a professional to do the metalwork or buying one that suits your needs already. Unless you are a welder or the like.

2cranky said:
What cut up something pretty? :D
Never built a keezer or cut down a font but I wont let that stop me.

Symmetry? Its a 10 outlet, I can cut 3 in from either end and finish up with 6 evenly spaced taps with a tri clamp in the middle, like the images below.
attachicon.gif
s-l500 (1).jpg
attachicon.gif
s-l500.jpg

I haven't decided whether to leave a bit of extra space in the middle or leave the tap spacing even - I'll make up my mind on that when I get the clamp.
If the flanges don't support enough I'll sleeve the inside of the tube.

I can get a custom double glazed lid for under $100 plus the channel to frame it in.
I need a 150 x 20 section of something to mount the font on. I might need to get a piece of stainless folded.

Still looking at options for the flooding of the font.

This font is by no means pristine. It's chrome plated brass (i think) and the chrome is quite pitted.
It might polish up ok but I'm re purposing a bit of kit that was junked.
Klangers has voiced the concerns I had for you in attempting this project.

I was once a design engineer for the company that manufactured that fount. I would not attempt what you are proposing to do. Particularly if you intend to flood it.

And yes, you are correct - the material is chrome plated brass.

klangers said:
Based on my experience with triclovers I am a little worried that simply using the clamp to hold the separated bits of tube (with adhesive) will be a bit physically weak. Pushing on and off beer taps places quite a bit of force and torque on the font.

Triclovers are strong if the triclover flanges are there, as they add significant stiffness and actually cause the clamp to pull the two pieces together. Then the joint is positively secured in 3 dimensions, and only relies on friction/adhesion for tube torque. If you don't have the flanges, then the tube can just slide right out. I know it's not being pressurised pipework, but I think you're better off getting a font that's suited to your size. I fear that by the time you've frankensteined this to be sufficiently strong, it's going to be rather ugly.

I got mine welded up at work from scratch, and I feel that was easier than what you're aiming for. It's goalpost with just two elbows, two BSM unions and a straight section with 8 holes. 4 welds. I had to attach the tap shanks and do the beer lines but that's easy (if fiddly). You're going to have to re-do the beer lines anyway if you cut it.

I say you'd regret cutting it if it's brass because:
  • As you say you'd most definitely need the whole thing re-chromed ($$$)
  • Brass can't be welded to anything and so as soon as it's cut I'd consider the font ruined unless you can get a feasible non-weld connection
If it's stainless then at least you can get someone to weld the triclovers on for you.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for the cost to hire/buy the gear necessary to TIG weld the triclover on (to do it properly) or fabricated/bought a non-weld coupling, and re-chromed, you may as well buy a new one.

I have no doubt that you'll get it working, but I think you're better off either paying a professional to do the metalwork or buying one that suits your needs already. Unless you are a welder or the like.
Yeah I'm fitting the flanges but there is no info on how deep the flanges are so, yeah, they might not give good support to the tubes. So in that case I'll sleeve the inside.
Capture.JPG

The finished font will look the same except 6 taps and a triclover clamp in the center.

yeah the lines a pretty grubby and the o rings don't look the best so I'll strip it down and rebuild.

I'm not going anywhere near welding this. If I need to sleeve it I'll get my engineer friend to turn up something that can press in. i just spoke to him and didn't see any issues. didnt think i'd need to sleeve the inside either. But Chinese tolerances on the flanges might say different.

Cheers

Pnutapper said:
Klangers has voiced the concerns I had for you in attempting this project.

I was once a design engineer for the company that manufactured that fount. I would not attempt what you are proposing to do. Particularly if you intend to flood it.

And yes, you are correct - the material is chrome plated brass.
Thanks Pnutapper, but whats the worst that can happen? - it leaks. Or even worse I have paid $200 for 8 second hand taps and fittings.
Hardly a negative result either way.
No, its not as designed.
Can it be re purposed as a 6 tap? I think it can.
Will it look as good as ex works - no, its a long way from that now.

Back