Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just got hold of a chest freezer off the inlaws to increase my storge capacity for my kegs. I recently purchased one of those plug in type temp controllers with the manual dial on the front (0'c - 40'c) to keep the thing at the correct temp but the freezer doesn't seem to want to start up when it's connected to this controller. I can hear it trying to start but nothing happens. When I disconnect the controller and just plug the freezer in normally it starts up and away she goes. Has anyone got suggestions as what might be wrong.

Cheers!

Hi All,
I've just got hold of a chest freezer off the inlaws to increase my storge capacity for my kegs. I recently purchased one of those plug in type temp controllers with the manual dial on the front (0'c - 40'c) to keep the thing at the correct temp but the freezer doesn't seem to want to start up when it's connected to this controller. I can hear it trying to start but nothing happens. When I disconnect the controller and just plug the freezer in normally it starts up and away she goes. Has anyone got suggestions as what might be wrong.

Cheers!

Did you make the controller yourself, (like the ones from jaycar). If so it may be a loose conection or a bogus one.

If not I'd bring the controller back to where you bought it from and ask for a new one.

Aaron

Don't forget on many models there is a compressor delay,so as not to burn it out by constantly cycling

The controller was bought from a brew shop in Perth, I'm just wondering if maybe it's not amp rated high enough for the freezer as I tried it on my small fridge and seemed to work OK

maybe post pics or what type of controller,so those who have experience with the unit can comment.

Do you have the specs for teh amp rate for both the freezer and the temp controller?

Might be worth giving the brew shop a yell and asking them.

Aaron

The controller was bought from a brew shop in Perth, I'm just wondering if maybe it's not amp rated high enough for the freezer as I tried it on my small fridge and seemed to work OK

when you start it does it make a buzzing sound for a few secs then a click

when you start it does it make a buzzing sound for a few secs then a click

Yeah that's it. Or at least your the closest to the description of what it is doing ( i'll try and post a pic)

thermo_fridge.jpg

Yeah that's it. Or at least your the closest to the description of what it is doing ( i'll try and post a pic)
sounds to me like your compressor is gone ! did you lay in on its side when transporting ?

Oh dear,I don't think your compressor is gone. just mishandled stuff from peoples mouth

transporting was all good. If the compressor was shot it wouldn't work just normally plugged in. I think a couple of invites for a beer tomorrow to my sparky mates migh be on the cards

Latest posts

Back