Free Tallies. As Many As You Can Carry!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
Today I did a bit of diving off a wharf in Lilli Pilli and I can say from what I saw that there are truckloads (smallish trucks... utes maybe) of tallies on the seabed.
One of these days, when I'm a more competent diver (and the water is clearer), I think I might take a closer look and see just how old some of them are...

Seriously though, what a pack of dicks to be heaving that sort of volume of glass off the wharf. Not to mention all the other shit down there :huh:

I reckon the summer I lived in Frankston (1986-7) we created an artificial reef of empties and shopping trolleys (used to transport the beers and ice) off the end of the pier there.

Getting the crusty old oysters and stuff off might be tricky though.

Could be perfect for a Mussel Stout.

Is the area good for snorkeling, or diving only ? I want to snorlel more this summer but sites seem limited in Sydney.

Is the area good for snorkeling, or diving only ? I want to snorlel more this summer but sites seem limited in Sydney.

Limited? There's some great snorkeling to be had in Sydney. Try Gordons Bay, Little Bay, Clovelly, the little beach at La Perouse is ok too.. and that's just the eastern suburbs.

I'm a bit of a diving noob, but I would say from what I saw that it drops off bloody quick and diving would be the way to go at Lilli Pilli.

Limited? There's some great snorkeling to be had in Sydney. Try Gordons Bay, Little Bay, Clovelly, the little beach at La Perouse is ok too.. and that's just the eastern suburbs.

I have dipped into Gordon's Bay a few times for snorkeling, and also years before for swimming. It seems these days that its always filthy. I will never jump into the man-made pool up the road though (Thats Clovelly right?), it just seems un-natural.

There's a place I discovered recently around Manly that was pretty spectacular... or would have been if not for the hazy visibility. Cabbage Cove or something like that. Might take another dip next month.

Have you heard of any spots around Mosman area ?

About 8 years ago we went up North and did a Quicksilver Reef cruise out of Port Douglas, when I went into the sea.

I still wake up screaming. :ph34r:

There are wiggly things there and you can't stand up and there is no beer there.

Don't get me wrong, I live on an island and I love the sea.

To look at :rolleyes:

pumicestone.jpeg

About 8 years ago we went up North and did a Quicksilver Reef cruise out of Port Douglas, when I went into the sea.

I still wake up screaming. :ph34r:

There are wiggly things there and you can't stand up and there is no beer there.

Don't get me wrong, I live on an island and I love the sea.

To look at :rolleyes:

View attachment 49034
Just spent 10 days out in the Coral Sea. Bird Islet, Wreck Reef and the rest. Fishing and snorkelling...........it was fXXKing magnificent. But I suppose this doesn't help Silo Ted find spots in Sydney. Come to Qld Ted we have heaps!

I have dipped into Gordon's Bay a few times for snorkeling, and also years before for swimming. It seems these days that its always filthy. I will never jump into the man-made pool up the road though (Thats Clovelly right?), it just seems un-natural.

There's a place I discovered recently around Manly that was pretty spectacular... or would have been if not for the hazy visibility. Cabbage Cove or something like that. Might take another dip next month.

I did a few weeks of diving in Little Manly Cove years ago for an impact assesment for the northside storage tunnel (Sydney Water) where the spoil was loaded onto barges. Lotsa seagrass countin'! It was pristine there.

Wankers ignoring the "no anchoring" signs though. I saw a couple of anchors ripping shit out of the seagrass beds (oasis in a desert for little critters, them) and got out the old knife and BYE BYE! :ph34r:

A mate of mine did his thesis on bottles, champers corks and chicken bones dropped from Gin Palaces. Personally I think picking up "rubbish" is nuts if it's been there longer than a few weeks and is colonised. Critters don't care if it's a bottle or a rock long as it's not leaching nasties.

Not the ocean baths in Clovelly, just off the rocks. There's a big blue groper that hangs around snorkelers like a puppy dog...

Not sure about Mosman / Nth Shore...Maybe around Balmoral?

My favourite spot within a couple of hours drive of Sydney is Jervis Bay - Murray's beach or Bristol point on the south side or Honeymoon bay on the north side.

It's paradise there. :)

unledljp.png

Not the ocean baths in Clovelly, just off the rocks. There's a big blue groper that hangs around snorkelers like a puppy dog...

Not sure about Mosman / Nth Shore...Maybe around Balmoral?

My favourite spot within a couple of hours drive of Sydney is Jervis Bay - Murray's beach or Bristol point on the south side or Honeymoon bay on the north side.

It's paradise there. :)

unledljp.png
I thought someone (some prick) speared that groper a few years back, I remember the huge uproar at the time

I think former nsw premier bob carr was fornicating

with that groper in clovelly, or something

Back