'free' Designing Great Beers Or Radical Brewing With Aha Membe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
Linkity Link if you wanted to sign up to a 1 year membership of the AHA for 44 USD (plus shipping on the book). For those that don't know, a subscription to Zymurgy is part of the membership.

yes I am affiliated because I just signed up to be a member :p .

Handy, looks like I may soon be an American homebrewer and hop everything to buggery!

sure beats the fridge magnets I got when I joined.

But then again, I already own (and regularly consult) both books :p

It cost me US$50 (~AU$66) for Radical Brewing, 6 issues of Zymurgy, postage, and 1 year membership to AHA (whoopee).

I reckon its a pretty good deal. Wonder how long it will take to arrive though.

I reckon its a pretty good deal. Wonder how long it will take to arrive though.

Depends what direction the ocean currents push the package. :D

which would be the better choice for someone who doesnt have either book yet?

Lucas,
Designing Great Beers is the one to go for IMHO.

Roach

Yeap, go for DGB. Belongs on every brewer's bookshelf. Just remember the ingredients lists are biased to what the Yanks can get a hold of.

I'll "third" DGB.

Radical Brewing is a good fun read, but DGB is a reference you will keep returning to for many a year.

Long time since a post here :ph34r:

I'll buck the trend and say I prefer Radical Brewing as a good resource. Guess you get a few recipes and a lot of techincal info in DGB but those tables of useless figures of what percentage of winning recipes used crystal malt etc etc annoy me. Worthless figures in my mind.

I think DGB only comes into it's own if you want to get really technical and really competition orientated. I think Radical Brewing encourages you to brew.

Anyway, very different books both with their good points. YMMV :)

Cheers, Justin

DGB helps you underdstand styles and how to brew within the boxes. Good for competitions, yes. But, also good for understanding a lot of basic brewing principles.

Radical Brewing encourages you to brew more generally and, especially, outside the boxes.

As a read, Mosher is much more entertaing than Daniels.

Daniels is the more reliable reference tome, IMO - and hence the book I refer to more a couple of years down the track.

Neither is out of place in on the HBers bookshelf.

ordered with DGB coming my way via airmail! hopefully that means I'll get it this month :p

an extra US$6 for airmail, and with todays conversion rates that's not even AU$8. I ordered a book for work off amazon shipped via standard surface mail in mid december and im still waiting on it.

got an email from them this morning saying the order came through with no credit card details so i have to resubmit. stupid broken .asp technology perhaps didnt like firefox... or unix line endings or something. anyway, hopefully their fast response time about this is representative of them putting my book in the mail tomorrow.

for anyone wondering how much of a difference air mail made, I got my book today. approximately 8 working days later :)

I have my membership card, etc. Arrived a couple of days ago. No book yet though :(

heh, i have no membership card or anything like that yet

My membership card has arrived, but no book yet.

Back