Free Co2?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emfokkes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I came across this guy who ferments beer in a spare keg, then he uses the CO2 produced to carbonate his other kegs. He reckons that making 10L of beer at 7% gives him 120psi, just below the safety valve's threshold of 130psi.

We're in the process of setting up our keg system but have yet to purchase a CO2 cylinder so I was thinking of giving this a go. What do you think? How many kegs do you think could be carbonated with one of these "CO2 kegs"?

-Emily

Last edited by a moderator:
Fermenting under pressure will affect the chemical reaction that is fermentation. Exactly how that will affect your finished beer, I don't know.
For fun I had thought about fermenting a "waste" brew (sugar, touch of malt/yeast nutrient etc) for the sole purpose of producing CO2 to dispense kegs in empty-cylinder emergencies though...

In terms of carbonation of kegs, prime the kegs with sugar as you would bottles as you'll get a more accurate level of carbonation, then hook your "gas keg" up for a second or two every now and then when needed to keep a good dispensing pressure. For safety make sure your pressure relief valve works, and/or have something like this: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1069

Reading?:
http://www.mbaa.com/TechQuarterly/Abstract...87/tq87ab20.htm

not to mention dirty off flavours that can come off with the CO2...ever smelled a true lager doing sulphur farts? :icon_vomit: This has been brought up a few times before.. I dunno, it always seems to be a bunch of nay sayers and a few links to some people who have tried, then peters out to nothing...

The maker of the video said he used to use sugar and water but moved onto beer with good results, as it meant he wasn't "wasting" a keg

Major breweries collect and reuse CO2, but use big collection bladders and compress to store in liquid form. So not ridiculous to ask about doing at home. Would probably want to make sure you're using non-return valves as could gum up a regulator pretty easily, and if you could fabricate up an inline carbon filter a lot of smells would be taken care of. Working with a fair bit of pressure too remember, so wouldn't be as simple as just banging a few things together, might need the help of a professional.

I thought about attempting to save and reuse the CO2, then I worked out it costs just over $1 to gas and dispense a keg I thought why bother, my time is worth more than that.

For a large brewery that could save thousands per bath I understand; or if you have an intrest in just trying it then go for it.

QldKev

Be better off pumping it to a greenhouse to stimulate plant growth. Or into an aquarium...

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]This is one of those ideas that I think sounds better than it works. There are problems with reusing CO2, number 1 is that for about the first quarter of the ferment there is a reasonable amount of O2 in the CO2, if you don't get this out somewhere down the line you will be force Oxygenating your beer,[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]Second as mentioned there are lots of nasties that do need removing, HS is just one of them.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]Third is infection control, bacteria are very good at travelling through pipe systems, and getting from one batch to another.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]Technically reusing CO2 is quite difficult; the cost of liquefaction is quite high, space for balloons is at a premium in most breweries for this to work it needs to be on a large scale and in a brewery that is in constantly producing and demanding CO2.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]To do this properly requires a big investment in time, smarts and money. Environmentally it's probably a good idea but at this stage it's, for most except the largest brewers uneconomic.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]Maybe when carbon credits/tax comes along it will be worthwhile Lion Nathan (link) claim to have spent $7M to recover 6.9K tons/year to save $1.3 M/year.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]Could be a good earner for someone, if they can come up with a standalone CO2 recovery plant for smaller breweries.[/font]

[font=" #39Times New Roman#39#39serif#39 FONT-SIZE 12pt"]MHB[/font]

During the Second World War in the UK they used to produce gas from coal and run cars off it using big rubberised canvas bladders on top of the car. I reckon something like that would work for dispensing real ale via a handpump, to maintain a CO2 headspace above the beer, but pressurising it would be a bugger. For real ale usage the bag needn't be heavy duty, probably just a good quality garden garbage bag would do. Ugly, however.
gas_car.jpg

(note the hayburner in the background) :lol:

Just attach a tube to your arse whilst drinking...

I understand Kevin is going to tax home brewers for the CO2 that we put into the atmosphere

During the Second World War in the UK they used to produce gas from coal and run cars off it using big rubberised canvas bladders on top of the car. I reckon something like that would work for dispensing real ale via a handpump, to maintain a CO2 headspace above the beer, but pressurising it would be a bugger. For real ale usage the bag needn't be heavy duty, probably just a good quality garden garbage bag would do. Ugly, however.
View attachment 35447

(note the hayburner in the background) :lol:
and I thought LPG is a pain with that tank in the boot!!

Latest posts

Back