Free Beer And Mates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It always amazes me when megaswill mates comment on how hoppy a beer is. Even when I've given them a 25 IBU malt driven english pale ale that I reckon has minimal aroma :lol:

The difference is that ACTUAL hops we use as opposed to the hop extract that you find in vaginal backwash and it's ilk.

We had a baby boy 3 weeks ago and I had a head wetting a few nights later...round at home drinking home brew on tap...the boys enjoyed it well enough to polish off a keg and then some...lucky a couple off them left some off the shelf beers for payment...the others are tightwads...i also have a couple of mates who also brew different drinks who appreciate home brew...
i still tell them to give me their honest opinion as most of the time its "thats a tasty beer"...they can't all be that tasty can they?

Other brewers are far more critical than non brewers I give beer to.

I get text messages from blokes at work to whom I give beer as they are drinking them.

Everything from 'your beer is fkn great'

to

'drinking it now. Sharing it with X. Really nice flavour, very smooth'

to

'how much for a dozen longnecks?'

to

'would happily have paid money for that'.

I usually give beer to people I think they will enjoy - no point pushing a belgian dark strong on the guy who thinks all beer should be wee yellow but I have given regular coopers drinkers my Belgian Grand Cru thingamajig (strong pale beer in the style of Hoegaarden grand cru) and pale only beer drinkers a copper coloured altbier.

What do other brewers say?

'Hmm, I can smell a hint of diacetyl as it warms up. Maybe a touch of 4-vinyl guaiacol phenolic as well. Did you do a ferulic acid rest?'

Brewers. Who needs 'em?

Cheers cocko...
The ol rig has been serving me well...i'm look'n forward to the day when the little man can be brew'n for his old man when i'm old and decrepid...
Seriously though...i enjoy my beer and I do enjoy hearing how my mates struggle to drink mega swill after a session on my beers...

We had a baby boy 3 weeks ago and I had a head wetting a few nights later...round at home drinking home brew on tap...the boys enjoyed it well enough to polish off a keg and then some...lucky a couple off them left some off the shelf beers for payment...the others are tightwads...i also have a couple of mates who also brew different drinks who appreciate home brew...
i still tell them to give me their honest opinion as most of the time its "thats a tasty beer"...they can't all be that tasty can they?

let me understand this ...

you invite friends to your home to celebrate and share with you one of the most joyous moments of your life, and you call them "tightwads" for not bringing their own beer, and count yourself lucky that some left some bought beer as "payment"

things are so different where i come from

I had a 19L keg (filled to 16L) drained by a mate staying for a while from Bahrain (chef for Gulf Air).

Triple Noble Pilsner. 100% Wey Pils with Hallertau/Saaz/Tettnang to 30 IBUs and WY2000.

I got about 5 glasses of it.

Sorry if I offended you...down here my mates and I like to hang crap on each other in a funny way...also I forgot to add ''ha ha'' to the end of the tightwad comment...my phones a pain to use at the best of times...
Now back on topic...

Dont have a lot of mates but those I do have mostly brew....
My brother always samples a few when he visits and reckons I'm "a ******* genius".
Sister in laws hubby wont touch anything but the home brew when he visits and always takes a carton home, as does the FIL.
Brother in law's - 3 thereof - turn up for sons 18th with cartons of Peroni and Summer Blight, I offer them a home brew to try,
pils, double decoction, saaz to die for....no way not drinking home brew....I says **** You, drink the shit you bought then and pours another for me, the brother and sil's hubby.

Nibbo....love the cheech and chong reference, spat coffee all over puter screen...

I don't have many friends but they keep asking for more . I met a young bloke from Munich when the missus and I went to Eildon for easter . She mentions that I home brew . So the following week he rocks up expecting to see how a beer is made and shit himself when he saw the herms rig . I said to him nah mate your brewing in this esky mash tun and boil kettle . Anyway once I started the hop addition I said its time for a beer . All I had on tap was an American wheetie , well he took one sniff and retorted "this takes me back to Munich " . Now thats what I call a good beer.

Ceers
Mike

P.S. He has moved to the dark side .

Had my daughter's 6th birthday party on the weekend for the rello's. Had a London Ale ready to go, amongst others.
My wife mentioned later she saw her brother take a sip, take a gulp, then turn to his wife and ask her to drive home. :beer:

At my daughters 21st in Jan this year I had 2 kegs of DSGA on tap, and big heaps of factory acid in eskies.
My nephews and other young blokes had the choice to drink pretty well anything free, but chose to drain my 2 kegs first.

My mates love it, but are too lazy to make their own, so i dont overdo supplying it.

Happy to fill uP anyone who genuinely likes it though.

One of my more recent mates, drinking my house APA. "That's pretty good, do you think you could make Tooheys ew (aka new)"

my reply "Sorry mate, no matter how much I try I just can't make shit beer"

I've got oodles of a KnK that tastes horrible that I reserve for people who whine about my good beers. Solves two problems: I get my bottles back, and I'm not wasting beer.

Any reason this is in the All Grain section?
Can't you serve your mates K&K?

One of my more recent mates, drinking my house APA. "That's pretty good, do you think you could make Tooheys ew (aka new)"

Ha Ha Ha! Awesome... Will reuse that one!

FWIW, people will always tell you they like your beer if it is drinkable. How much homebrewers/friends truly like it is often proportional to how much they drink... I like the brewing process more than the rewards, so mates/family can drink as much as they like within reason.

If you've been mates with them long enough they know not to bother bringing megaswill or ask you to take something/make something suitable for a gathering... That is of course they haven't followed your lead and started brewing for themselves.

That is of course they haven't followed your lead and started brewing for themselves.
Ah but that only applies if they aren't brewing crap simply because it is cheaper than buying megaswill. :)

Seriously, all of my mates will ask for my beer. If for some reason I run out (like I did recently when spending all my time and effort building a new rig) and offer them a store bought beer then they turn up their nose and ask me where my stash is..

:)

Went to the kids' end of season breakup party on Sunday. took some homebrews and got funny looks. then they started asking questions... One bloke in particular wouldn't let up - how do you make it? What temp do you ferment? where do you get yeast from? How does the alcohol get in? Why is stout black and lager is yellow? Do your bottles explode? On and on and on. He even asked what do hops taste like, and I kid you not.... I offered him one of my beers so he could taste some hops, and he replies " nah mate I'm good with the goldies - I don't drink that stuff". I nearly fell over! FFS TUCK YOUR SKIRT BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AND HAVE A FU&%ING TASTE YOU NOB!

Latest posts

Back