Forgot to perg keg before shake carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxedBrewer

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. After filling my keg I forgot to purge the head space and began to force carb via the shaking method. So I assume I have a fair bit of DO in the beer now (I did not purge the keg before filling either).

Should I either
1) just drink it quickly before the major oxidation problems occur.
2) add some malt extract and let it warm back up and hope the yeast reabsorb the oxygen while it ferments it out?

(It is a simple ordinary bitter recipe)

Don't think you'll have much of a problem, release gas in head space, set to pouring pressure, give bit of a purge and away you go. Wouldn't keep keg for months but I don't think you'll notice a thing.
Cheers

I've done the same a few times but I probly haven't had enough experience to tell whether it affected the beer or if it was something else in my process up to the point of kegging without purging the headspace first. The times I did forget to purge before force carbing I noticed a bit of a swing in flavour to a harsh almost slick/fumey accent, then it seemed to fade and then it kind of returned and so on.
Like I said, could've been anything. I always purge the empty keg first though, just sometimes forget to do a final purge after fitting the lid prior to shaking/rolling.

I did this by accident a few months back.
I tested the keg expecting the worst but only got 115 ppb compared with the usual 20 to 30ppb.

Best thing to do if you want to keep it is to shake, vent shake vent, then purge and re carbonate.
You may loose some hop and head but de carbonating purging and re carbing will drive out the o2.

RelaxedBrewer said:
Title pretty much says it. After filling my keg I forgot to purge the head space and began to force carb via the shaking method. So I assume I have a fair bit of DO in the beer now (I did not purge the keg before filling either).

Should I either
1) just drink it quickly before the major oxidation problems occur.
2) add some malt extract and let it warm back up and hope the yeast reabsorb the oxygen while it ferments it out?

(It is a simple ordinary bitter recipe)
I'm missing something.
You filled the keg.
Then added co2 to force carb?

Do you mean you forgot to add co2 before filling or something else?

manticle said:
I'm missing something.
You filled the keg.

He didn't purge out the oxygen before or after filling the keg.

Stress less and just drink it.

manticle said:
I'm missing something.
You filled the keg.

I filled the keg and did not purge (either the keg before filling or the head space before adding co2 and force carbing via shaking).

That's the thing I'm missing. If it was after filling, he added co2 for force carbing?
I don't think I've ever worried about purging 8 million times. Just displace when filling (sometimes I forget) fill, carb, drink.

It's not as sensitive as people think.

Relaxed - relax. I regularly/often/always forget to do this.
Drink up and be merry, remember next time if you think it matters.

200+ kegs that ive filled and force carbed and i think ive purged once.

You will be fine. Just make sure your drinking the keg dry in a week :D

If you've put 40psi of CO2 in there the partial pressure of oxygen in there's not going to let anything grow anyway. You never get rid of a hundred percent of the oxygen.

Relax, dont worry, drink more of it :p

EDIT - especially as oxygen's got about double the solubility in water at 4C as co2 does (6.5g/L vs 3g/L roughly)... As soon as that partial pressure went up the oxygen was all dissolved in your beer regardless.

You are going to have to skull it all tonight unfortunately, let us know if you notice any staleness in that last schooner.

I done the same thing once, in a panic I quickly shoved the pluto gun in my mouth cranked the reg to 12 psi and swallowed the lot in one shot. If anything it actually seemed overly carbonated when it was coming out my nose. It might have all been in my head but I swear I sh#t liquid for a week, I was scared to fart because I was certain beer would come out my ears again.

Moral to the story is if these things happen dont panic and over react it will probably be fine just try to improve your practices in the future to try to aim for ultimate consistency.

Rdwhahb it will be fine. I've done this more than once and not had much of an issue. Having said that, the keg didn't last longer than a month anyhow. Absolute worst case is you have reduced the shelf life of the keg, the more likely scenario is it will be fine

as others have said, you shouldn't have a problem. just drink it sooner. i have had a sour beer oxidise in the keg due to not purging / bad transfer, but it was in the keg for over 6 months before i got back to drinking it...

Back