Forgot to add carbonation drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taleismin

Reaction score
Hi all, think I made a big mistake by forgetting to add carbonation drops as my beer is flat. Does anyone know if you can add drops after 4 weeks in a bottle? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

A few things first, are you certain that you did not add carb drops?

If not
To confirm that secondary fermentation hasn't occured; what temperature have you been storing your beer at? To confirm no gas leaks; have all of your lids (screw or crown) been applied securely?
... anything else?

You can add the carb drops after the fact, but after doing so you should give the bottle a swirl to stir up the yeast which is probably compacted at the bottom. Might not give you the best result, but may be better than completely flat

Taleismin said:
Hi all, think I made a big mistake by forgetting to add carbonation drops as my beer is flat. Does anyone know if you can add drops after 4 weeks in a bottle? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Simple answer is if you know you forgot the carb drops , you can certainly add them. Might be some side effects to taste, might not.

If you cant remember if you did or didnt and your beer is flat. Update us, because there are a few things you will need to be sure of before deciding to add carb drops to avoid unexpected excess carbonation and possible dangerous bottle bombs.

There is also heaps of info that is available through the search function.

If you know what the SG was at bottling taking a gravity reading couldn't hurt before you add drops (and make a couple of dozen bombs).

Also only requires opening 1 bottle.

Back