Foreign Galaxy Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
Has anyone ever used Galaxy hop pellets in a Foreign Extra Stout, something along the lines of Coopers Stout?
I was thinking maybe 35g @ 45mins for bitterness and 35 @15mins for flavour in a 7 litre boil.
Cheers.

G'day Brewers,
Has anyone ever used Galaxy hop pellets in a Foreign Extra Stout, something along the lines of Coopers Stout?
I was thinking maybe 35g @ 45mins for bitterness and 35 @15mins for flavour in a 7 litre boil.
Cheers.

You know galaxy has a very intense passionfruit flavour right? It would make for an interesting stout.

cheers

Browndog

Yeah a passionfruit stout would be different indeed. I know it's used in pale ales predominately, and I would be left with 20g or so for a pale ale down the track, but it might be worth a try in a stout just for it's bittering qualities alone. Maybe I could drop the 15min addition back 5-10g to avoid an overpowering fruity flavour.
What do Coopers use in their Extra Stout?

Yeah a passionfruit stout would be different indeed. I know it's used in pale ales predominately, and I would be left with 20g or so for a pale ale down the track, but it might be worth a try in a stout just for it's bittering qualities alone. Maybe I could drop the 15min addition back 5-10g to avoid an overpowering fruity flavour.
What do Coopers use in their Extra Stout?

I would imagine it would not be citrussy, more like POR, EKG, Fuggles, Hallertau or something similar.

I've used galaxy as the bittering hop in a pils, 30g for 60 mins in a 25L batch (along with 30g of saaz at 15 and flameout)

It is a decent bittering hop - slightly course which I like.

However the galaxy taste carried right through, so much so you can hardly notice the saaz. Came through as citrus and tropical fruit.

Now in a stout this may work. Depends what you like really. I've used cascade for aroma in a stout, but not a huge hit, and at 10 minutes, and found it had a pine and orange sort of aroma which worked really well. (The beer was a multi-award winner in the UK, including a finalist in the champion beer of britain).

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, interesting.
I will be using a twin pack of Nottingham yeast from CB which could well drive off a fair amount of aroma.
My only other option would be to use my East Kent Goldings but I had English Ale plans for that and my Styrian Goldings.

Second thoughts, the Goldings isn't an option, I would need a truck load to bitter this brew.
I could always order some Pacific Gem from CB, I could do with some more high Alpha hops for bittering as well.
Recommendations for an Aussie Extra Stout?

Latest posts

Back