Force carbing partially full kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDan

Reaction score
For a standard full 19L keg I use the Ross method to carb it, goes great and no issues.

However I'm currently doing some experimental 4L batches (mainly mead) and carbing these up in the 19L kegs, so a lot of head space. The Ross method of 40psi doesn't work and leaves the mead over carbed. Before I start randomly testing pressures (20psi?) to force carb a 1/5 full keg, did anyone have any tips or known data?

Cheers

I have been force carbonating cold 4l mini kegs themselves. 30 psi for 30 seconds through the gas in and rocking to and fro on its side. Back in the fridge, wait an hour to settle then connect to serving pressure for 24hours and all should be good.
Now if 4l in a 19litre keg then suggest you pressurize the keg to 30psi then follow above.

Or to be safe just set and forget at serving pressure (12 psi) for 4 days - a week if you can be patient. With so much head space I wouldn't recommend roll/shake to carbonate because of all the air/oxygen in there, even if you burp/purge the headspace still has oxygen in there.
Although I'm not sure what oxygen being introduced into mead has as negative results as in beer?

recently purchased a keg king ..19 litre keg cap with a 0.5 stone
works a treat on carbing kegs full or partially full ... 1 happy customer
paid fiddy

micbrew

Latest posts

Back