For the dreamers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the dreamers that have extensive experience and education ;)

WTF do KPI's have to do with brewing. They are a bullshit system designed by managers who have NFI how the world works

Ducatiboy stu said:
WTF do KPI's have to do with brewing. They are a bullshit system designed by managers who have NFI how the world works
if your not a manager then that is the expected response!

Because they ensure consistency and a measurable bench mark. I'm not a manager but it makes sense to have a system in place to gauge how your business performs.

A lot of the time a manager doesn't need to know the process of the business. Why does a manager of a brewery need to know how to brew?. You pay them for their managing skills, not brewing skills.

Ideally though, If the manager is not 100% knowledgable on the process then any KPI's should be mutually agreed, but enforced.

Haha how the KPI's are decided upon and how they are enforced/applied is a different issue for sure. Nevertheless having something to judge your ongoing progress against is a good idea. Unfortunately reality has to come into play sometimes.

Meh.....managers relly on the workers to meet their KPI's. I care little for KPI's

Ducatiboy stu said:
Meh.....managers relly on the workers to meet their KPI's. I care little for KPI's
Exactly that's why they don't need to know anything about brewing. They ensure the KPI's are met by the workers/employees, that is one of the main parts of their job. I work in a very large company, and while I agree with your sentiment, and am usually on the end of some ridiculously irrelevant KPIs I understand their function. Just because your manager is a dickhead and knows **** all about the process, doesn't mean he isn't a good manager.

You arsehole you just made me defend management. Union won't be happy with me now. :)

I suppose they will send you off to one of them team building/bonding session with some overpaid knobjockey. When I was on the railways we just went to the pub and got shitfaced. I no one ended up with a black eye it was called a success and repeated many many time.

mje1980 said:
Exactly that's why they don't need to know anything about brewing. They ensure the KPI's are met by the workers/employees, that is one of the main parts of their job. I work in a very large company, and while I agree with your sentiment, and am usually on the end of some ridiculously irrelevant KPIs I understand their function. Just because your manager is a dickhead and knows **** all about the process, doesn't mean he isn't a good manager.
YH's "management" knows everything about brewing...

I don't doubt it. I was talking in general mate not specifically those guys.

We can bitch all we like about management and their silly rules, but if it wasn't for bosses, none of us would have a job.

To the OP:

I'm sure there are a couple of lurkers here who hold the requisite qualifications and have said experience to be able to fit the job description. A few come to mind, but I won't single them out.

I wonder what the pay is?
I bet you it's shit. I rang a company that was looking for an assistant brewer just for some more info than he had in his ad & **** me, you needed to be a bio-chemist, accountant & possibly a lawyer, work most weekends & evenings for a really attractive salary of $55.000. Are you ******* kidding me. Good luck finding someone with those qualifications who wants to take a massive pay cut just so they can work in the craft beer industry.
I think some of these owners are seriously off their chops.
Yep! I'm a dreamer too.

if its such an awesome job, why'd the last bloke leave?

I think 55K for a craft brewery is not bad, but they would be having a laugh if they offered 55K for the role they have outlined. Sadly, entry level brewing jobs are closer to 40K, which is a bummer.

But, entry level brewing jobs in the UK pay around 12-16000 pounds, bit more if you are in London, similar in the States. I guess people pay what they can afford, then what they can get away with.

There's no mention of salary in the ad (at least I can't see it), could be a lot more than 55k

Latest posts

Back