Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Won't be planting anything for a while.
Have to move out again due to landlord selling. Second time within 12 months.
That sucks balls mate. Moving is one of the things I loathe the most.

Cucumbers I like though. Especially layered between thickly buttered bread with a bit of cheddar and half a grinder of pepper.

Anybody had luck with geting rid of whitefly? My hops and a few other plants were decimated this season.

I tried Neeming them every week or so, to little effect. I'm thinking of getting some Green Lacewing larvae, anyone tried that?

wide eyed and legless said:
Dust buster them early in the morning, put the bag in the freezer to kill them and put them under the tomato plants, you shouldn't have them now though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGAu_DeKckI

Is this some kind of warning for other whiteflies? I dread to think what's buried in your backyard WEAL.

I will bury everything that is good for the garden, vacuum cleaner dust is also good for the tomato's all the dead skin dog hairs etc, I was reading about the rock dust a few years ago supposed to be good for the garden, I see Bunnings has got onto it now, thought it was a bit pricey, but just recently read that it only has to be put into the soil every 20 years or so.

As long as you weren't a standover man, I'm not complaining. Not that I'm complaining...on the off chance you were.

Got sick of feral dogs killing off our chooks. While we loved the eggs and it was a great way to get rid of spent grain, so is a big compost heap. So the last remaining chooks went to a neighbours farm and we scored about 250sq M of garden space.

Egg plants have yielded 1 whole fruit...... Bugs eat the flowers off, so I've resorted to a spray made on garlic and Chocolate Scorpions. No bugs, but you can hear them speaking Spanish from deep within and no fruit still.

Butternut pumpkins. good thing we like pumpkin soup.

Tomatoes have been a complete loss this year. More soil prep needed and will rest that patch for another year.

Sweet potato has gone feral and they're bulging out of the soil

Watermelons have done well, but late. These were planted in late September

No shortage of chilli varieties or beetroot and the spring onions have done well as have the carrots.
Just need to sort out winter varieties now.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pity about the chooks, can't you get one of those cages that move around and shoot the dogs?
Noticed this evening, the one that got away, I grow my cucumbers in the roof of the greenhouse, length 430mm girth 225mm pity its an F1 so I can't keep the seeds.

IMG_0164.jpg

Ripped out all my tomato plants yesterday, green tomato chutney underway at the moment, getting beds ready for peas, swede, carrots, parsnip, silverbeet, kale, spinach and cabbages. Giving the tomato plants to sister in laws goat, I feel sorry for it, it has cleared her block and a neighbours of all the blackberry bushes, hard to imagine anything could eat blackberry bushes.

A shame about having to move Manticle, with a bit of luck an investor will buy the property,seems to be more investors in the housing market than people wanting to buy the property for their own use.

I will bury everything that is good for the garden, vacuum cleaner dust is also good for the tomato's all the dead skin dog hairs etc, I was reading about the rock dust a few years ago supposed to be good for the garden, I see Bunnings has got onto it now, thought it was a bit pricey, but just recently read that it only has to be put into the soil every 20 years or so.
Really? Good to know. I try to put most biodegradeable things in compost but never thought of vac dust.

As for investor - landlord wants to sell a vacant property to increase appeal so we have come to an arrangement as it's well before the end date of the arrangement.

. Giving the tomato plants to sister in laws goat, I feel sorry for it, it has cleared her block and a neighbours of all the blackberry bushes, hard to imagine anything could eat blackberry bushes.
Goats LOVE anything hard and spikey. In fact they will eat trees,sticks, thorny bushes etc over grass. They actually have a hardened mouth roof so hey dont get punctured.

Putting a goat onto blackberry is like putting them in heaven.

Pity about the chooks, can't you get one of those cages that move around and shoot the dogs?
Noticed this evening, the one that got away, I grow my cucumbers in the roof of the greenhouse, length 430mm girth 225mm pity its an F1 so I can't keep the seeds.
Don't walk underneath that,if it falls it'll skewer you if not break a bone or two !
"Man killed by plumeting cucumber "

Just pulled up half the garden into pots. Leaving half of all plants I'm taking, leaving anything that's seasonal. Just so I have a head start in the new place. Might sound naff but never realised how much emotional connection you can have with plants you grew to eat. Actually felt emotional digging up oregano.

Hate to see you trying to kill your favourite steer then. You would be an emotional wreck for months B)

Goats LOVE anything hard and spikey. In fact they will eat trees,sticks, thorny bushes etc over grass. They actually have a hardened mouth roof so hey dont get punctured.

Putting a goat onto blackberry is like putting them in heaven.

Guess the goat isn't going to thank me for puff house tomato and bean plants I have pulled out then plus a load of grape vine leaves, hard to get my mind around eating blackberry bushes, then again I'm not a goat though the wife says I act like one when lubricated.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Hate to see you trying to kill your favourite steer then. You would be an emotional wreck for months B)
Would be much easier mate.

Winter garden looking good, peas just starting to break through, my favourite cabbage wombok is off to a flying start, also got brussel sprouts, sugarloaf cabbage, cauliflower and bok choy, just trying to encourage leeks to grow a bit longer in the pot before planting them in the bed.

post-31016-0-04506400-1428541980_thumb.jpg

So bok choy is a nice winter grower? I've just been getting a few planter boxes ready for planting next weekend and was looking at planting some bok choy since we go through so much of it throughout the week. One of my favourite parts of moving out of our apartment is that we've got some garden space now. Preeeetty over paying so much for wild rocket at the grocers.

The Bok choy grows very quick so make sure you keep planting the seeds regularly, I have 4 lots on the go at the moment, 3 at various stages and the 4th is seeds I planted yesterday.

So you use seeds again after each harvest? You don't plant any cuttings?

Latest posts

Back