Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomatoes are hard you say? They're sold at supermarkets with lettuce because anyone in the right climate can throw them in the ground and as long as you water them, you'll have a decent harvest.
Snapping of stems is common from fruit but I recommend pinning them behind wire up against a wall/shed, works a treat for me, Last season ours got about 8 ft tall. BTW these were not supermarket suped up varities, these were all grown from seed from diggers.

Cheers

Mine were diggers seeds. Ill stick with the simple and easy cherry tomato that pops up anywhere. After i build a shelter ill try again with the fancy big red ones.

Might depend on what you're after. I had a blend of commercial and supermarket seeds pretty much thrown in the ground and regularly watered.
Got plenty of toms. Not enough for litres of passata but never expected it. Plenty for general eating along with zucchini, carrot, corn, pumpkin, beans, spinach, silverbeet, bok choi, beetroot, rocket, lettuce, radish, broccoli, potato and a whole bunch of other fruit, veg and herbs.

Diversity puts food on the plate.

I had a prick of a year for toms

Planted 5 Black Bussians and 6 Roma

Got fruit but it was all over the place. I blame the season. We had a very dry summer and everything went to ground

Got some nice Romas, but never enough at the same time to do anything with and had to wait to long for the next ripening

******* tomatoes...you either get shit loads....or **** all or never enough

manticle said:
Diversity puts food on the plate.
enhanced-27638-1431581292-23.jpg

Talking about tomatoes... Do you guys net to protect against fruit fly? Those of you who aren't growing n greenhouses anyway. And if so, how does that impact pollination? I'm sick of the fruit fly but don't fancy hand pollination either.

Cheers
Dave

Stu, did you manage to get any chilli seeds harvested and dried this year?
Not sure if the ones you gave me a few years ago are still viable, I'm keen to grow up another big chilli garden down here

Airgead said:
Talking about tomatoes... Do you guys net to protect against fruit fly? Those of you who aren't growing n greenhouses anyway. And if so, how does that impact pollination? I'm sick of the fruit fly but don't fancy hand pollination either.

Cheers
Dave
You just have to give them a shake when they are in flower so the pollen drops off, tooth brush is OK if they are not under a net.
Though I do think plants do have some degree of being conscious of their environment I doubt whether when being touched up by an electric toothbrush makes them think it is a bee.

sp0rk said:
Stu, did you manage to get any chilli seeds harvested and dried this year?
Not sure if the ones you gave me a few years ago are still viable, I'm keen to grow up another big chilli garden down here
Nah...been a bit slack...

But at the back of the pub there will be 5 gazzillion Tabasco and Lemon Aji pods/plant/seeds from when i planted a single one of each there about 3 years ago ( seeds from The Hippy Seed Co )

I have them growing in the back yard wild so will see what pops up. Still got a 4 yr old Orange Scorpian still going :)

I can always get seeds back from mates I have given seed to if I need some to share around B)

Actually..

Does anyone want some Mexican D'bol Blood chilli. They dry really well. The dried pods go like red cellophane and you can shake the seeds inside them

I have about 12 dried pods with heaps of seeds.

Free to good home..etc..etc...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Actually..

Does anyone want some Mexican D'bol Blood chilli. They dry really well. The dried pods go like red cellophane and you can shake the seeds inside them

Ooohh ohhhh... Pick me! Pick me!

Pm sent

Yes please.
Got a few good plants started last summer. Most surviving tas winter so I know stuff grows in my soil. Very little fruit first season but I'm expecting big hot things this summer.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Actually..

You had me going there for second..

d-bol-100-max-pro-1000-mg-10-ml.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
I will see what deal I can get
Old mate ex-copper in Coffs who got done a few years ago for tipping off roid dealers to raids and selling a little on the side himself around Coffs and Grafton could probably get you some...
Funnily enough he now owns a gym...

Back