Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Most of mine have rotted so far. However I think I've got a couple of fruit started by hand this season, just surprised at the lack of bees in the garden. I'd love one or two hives to kick things along and honeys about the only thing my youngest eats atm. Spewing because a neighbour had a swarm in their cedar last year and the council had them remove it. They thought we'd dobbed them in until I told them we wanted bees in the vegie patch. Maybe it was the pricks on the other side with the swimming pool and a shit attitude?
Anyway, found a thread on bee hives and will try and convince swmbo this is a good thing.

Also, could anyway recommend a good plum combo? Got space for a decent fruit tree and thought a double grafted plum might be the go. Mainly for eating but it would be nice to try some in a brew or see what a Serb mate can do with them.

Bees are awesome! I kept bees when I was a kid and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Kind of magical, really.

I'm not sure what "worth it" looks like for you Cam. I'd say its worth it in the way growing hops is worth it. Not a huge return, but hugely satisfying.

You would have to research the sort of plums your family like, some plums are self pollinating and others need a companion plum to pollinate. Another thing about plums is DO NOT let anyone tell you to prune them in the winter months, prune them as soon as they have finished fruiting.
I have thought about the beehives but my wife says "No" She is worried about the kids getting stung, their is someone in the SE suburbs sells bees and hives, also you can contact a beekeeping club and you can get someone to put hives on your property, a good way to learn before getting your own and they will reward you with honey.
My Zucchini at the start of the season were getting pollinated by bees without a miss, now I have to pollinate them myself same with the pumpkins, gave my brothers some zucchini plants my youngest brother told me he hadn't had one zucchini, he had only been taking the flowers off stuffing, and frying them :lol:

Haha! Maybe he needs to dig a bit deeper to find them.

I've got a vacancy along my fence line where I removed a dead hakea so only enough space for one tree or two small ones. I'll probably go one plant with two types grafted to take care of the pollinating side of things.
Either that or some other fruiting tree. Open to suggestions?
Or maybe a couple of olive trees.
What I really need is for my neighbour to remove the huge cyprus that is overhanging the perfect spot for a big veggie patch. Hmmm, where'd I put the glyphosate?

@ WEAL: SE suburbs as in Dingley maybe? Old Russian professor called Nikolai, runs Hampton hives or somesuch. If so, both my Dad and an old work colleague dealt with him a bit. Mad as a cut snake but equally passionate, knowledgeable and great guy to boot. Would love to get a hive happening but the yard is pretty small and I'm already pushing it as much as I can. Haven't discounted the possibility yet though.

Bit off topic here boys and girls but thought id throw it in.... What the hell is this little fella? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421548250.035152.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421548273.718403.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421548296.002444.jpg

Just googled it manticle. I think your right. Beautiful looking thing. Pretty big too. Never seen one before. :)

Beautiful indeed. Native to australia and while the adult is nowhere near as colourful, it is also beautifully patterned.

Going mostly from memory but not really a threatening pest unless you have peppercorn trees (the adult eats nothing) and non stinging so no need to take action more drastic than photography.

Sweet. Put him back in a pile of leaves. Cheers manticle.

Pumpkin patch just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Starting to get some stable fruit and with a bit of manual pollenating I have a half dozen set so far. All self sown butternuts by the look of it. Next season I'll plant some varieties now I know they like that spot.
2015-01-23 22.56.05.jpg

Thanks zucchini. Twas one of the last pours of my "Del the Funky Simcoe Saisien." I really should stop naming my beers.

I meant the variety of squash/pumpkin rather than an affectionate name for your esteemed self.
However I shall, from this moment, refer to you as 'ma petite aubergine'

I've had the best season so far for tomatoes. All up, I've probably picked around 25 kilos from 14 plants, and there are still more to come. Probably lost 5 kilos to bugs and burning from the sun. Most have been given away, but made a heap of relish the other other night to try and use them. Planning on making some passata, too.

They're called 'joy', and are a bit watery for my liking, but still a really nice fruit.

znq6xD1l.jpg

Holy tomayto, batman. I can't grown tomatoes to save my life.

Here in the Subtropics it's perfect for eggplant and okra, the hotter the better ... I'll need a stepladder shortly to pick the okra.

It's a super tender variety and the pods grow to around 12 cm without becoming woody.

okra 1.jpg

okra 2.jpg

Cam, it's ok buddy, I like a full-figured gardener.

Bribie- I always imagined okra to grow as a vine along the ground. Very cool.

We're hoping to move this year to somewhere with a bigger yard and a big vegie garden is on the cards. I had a good go with herbs this year too and I'm sold on cooking with super fresh herbs. Especially fresh basil. Amazing.

Latest posts

Back