Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freshly razed field mushrooms sautéed in butter and garlic then lazily draped over a plateau of brazenly toasted sour dough smothered in slabs of butter and topped with a bombardment of freshly cracked pepper. Not quite Posh Nosh but oh so good. Danwood, you disappoint me.

Love broad beans .... I chuck a heap in the offset BBQ and smoked them in the pods then put them through a salad was pretty top shelf

Like them just shelled ,sautéd then mashed slightly with butter and cracked pepper on toast

I'm hungry as now

Danwood said:
Short answer...dunno !
This is my first season trying it, with flowers anyway. Hence I've gone for the American tactic of 'shock and awe'
I thought it was 'hearts and minds'.
Man. I really need to brush up on my US foreign policy.

Can pick broadbeans when very young and eat them like sugarsnaps, a bit older and you don't need to peel the seeds, older again they need peeling. Prefer them at stage 1 and 2

Roasted broadbeans are AWSOME

You can find these in most supermarkets, but home made ones are just as good

75103.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Roasted broadbeans are AWSOME

You can find these in most supermarkets, but home made ones are just as good

75103.jpg
I prefer my fava beans with liver and a nice chianti...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzC1Dn0gqgE

Need advice, on the weekend I pulled 2 Cauliflowers and chucked them in the compost because the same thing has happened as last year.
They stared getting a yellow tinge to them and didn't stay in one concentrated clump,they basically went in all directions .
The Broccoli is about 250 mm high and flowering,just leaves and flowers.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?
I've used an off the shelf veggie fertiliser as per directions with regular watering and the seedlings have been grown from seed in cleaned containers such as Yoghurt / cut down PET bottles/ milk cartons.

Help !

Yeah 2 years in a row and no success is getting bloody annoying .
I might have ring the gardening show on ABC radio over the weekend and see what one of the gurus has to offer.

I don't know anything about olive trees, but most other fruiting shrubs and trees they need pruning and the new wood bears the fruit.
Yep, I think you're right. I bit the bullet and gave the biggest olive tree a bloody good haircut over winter and now it's flowering like crazy. My maccas are also flowering well although they're a couple of years overdue for a trim.

Now I just have to survive any droughts, hailstorms or other disasters and I should have some good harvests this year.

spog said:
Need advice, on the weekend I pulled 2 Cauliflowers and chucked them in the compost because the same thing has happened as last year.
They stared getting a yellow tinge to them and didn't stay in one concentrated clump,they basically went in all directions .
The Broccoli is about 250 mm high and flowering,just leaves and flowers.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?
I've used an off the shelf veggie fertiliser as per directions with regular watering and the seedlings have been grown from seed in cleaned containers such as Yoghurt / cut down PET bottles/ milk cartons.

Help !
Spog they are going to seed when they do that, I got mine late winter this year no bugs and no bolting, just big white heads, what you have to do is when you see the curd forming bring up the leaves and tie them around the curd, keeping it in the darkness of the leaves. There is an earlier post on this thread where I tried sisalation tied around the curd but the leaves work the best.
Get some of the 'all year round cauliflower' seeds and have another go.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/cauliflower/blanching-cauliflower.htm

I seem to recall from something Peter Cundall once said that too much nitrogen feeding will make them all leaf and no head. Apparently you want a diferent N:p:K ratio with less of the N and more of the K I think.

They'd be similar to beans/peas then ? Nitrogen fixers, not users.

NO! Peas and beans draw in nitrogen from the air giving an excess dose of nitrogen to the soil, always plant brassicas after legumes, brassicas are heavy nitrogen feeders,

malt & barley blues said:
NO! Peas and beans draw in nitrogen from the air giving an excess dose of nitrogen to the soil, always plant brassicas after legumes, brassicas are heavy nitrogen feeders,
I may have got that confused, thanks.

I'm correct in thinking Toms should follow beans though, right? Toms are heavy feeders too.

That was the plan for the rest of my Toms and a few Capsicum, anyway.

Actually tomatoes should follow brassica but in a small garden it is no big deal, I try to do the right thing but it doesn't always work out that way, potatoes, tomatoes,peppers and I believe egg plant are the same family so trying to juggle what to grow where in a small garden is pretty difficult. I have often grown spuds and tomatoes in the same spot the following year as long as there wasn't any major diseases, just get the pH right and everything should be OK.
Use sulphate of potash for your tomatoes when they are in the ground and don't over water, tough love is the way to treat them, get them sending their roots down.

Good advice there, thanks.

Yeah, I don't have mushroom either (stop it!).

I've buried most of my Tom seedlings almost up to the first leaves as I read this is good practice for extra root formation. That and simple pruning of suckers and nipping off early flowers. I'm really hoping for a good harvest.
I mixed in blood and bone to the horse manure etc, but no potash. Can this be added via watering can ?
I remember seeing it was present in Dynamic Lifter, but I didn't bother with it...seemed like a very over-priced product, given the ingredients.

Latest posts

Back