Font Mounted Counter Pressure Filler.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you're saying you are filling stubbies with it? Please, please post some photos of the setup...

EDIT: Think I understood now, you're using the washer in the bottom of the filler, to 'press' the bottle upwards? Still, photos would be great!

Yeah mate, the washer does 2 things:
1. Grips stubbie bottle under the rim as the one on the CPF is only just to wide.
2. Spaces the top of the stubbie high enough to seal on the CPF seal.

I found a washer in the shed that was just the right O.D to fit in the yoke of the CPF
I'm using Becks, and Coopers tallies and the necks are much the same.

I'll try to get some pics.

Cheers, Clayton

I'll be absolutely stoked if that works. And so simple too, people on here have tried all sorts of things with adaptors etc. I've tried cut off PET bottles filled with silicone to fit a stubbie. I know that at least one guy succesfully fills champagne bottles, but tallies and stubbies would be so much better.

Thanks for posting mate, looking forward to some pics.

Off to find a suitable washer now...

Pics if it happens Florian. Keen to see it in action, and keen to do it too...

004.jpg would be better to use a thicker gauge say 3 - 4 mm as this one only just pulls up to seal. Also the forks tend to spread after a while, just have to squash up in vice.
007.jpg
12.jpg
14.jpg
10.jpg Pipe spacer

I guess it will depend on what bottles you intend to use but for me works well with Becks and Coopers tallies, can't see the rest of the crown seal type bottles being much different?

Awesome work mate! Thanks for the pics. Now, to build one myself!

That looks like the trick, will have to hunt a washer and get the dremel out and have a go.

Absolutely awesome, mate. Can't wait to put this into action when I'm back from holidays. Finally a way to archive all those beers in almost empty kegs. And finally a use for that huge bottle collection that i always refused to get rid off.

I reckon you should make a few more of those washers and sell them, I'd be the first one to buy one. Cheap postage, too.

Yeah I'm sure some one will start selling them, perfict if you work in a sheet metel joint with an auto plasma cutter.
As for me I struggled to find the time to make my own!
This set up is sweet as, no more sediment in the bottles ether.
One thing is I bought my CPF from 'my beer shop' but appears to be the same as others I've seen around.

Just got one of these from crafties, what size beer line do they take?

I used 6mm I.D. I found the barbs on the CPF were a bit bigger than the ones on my beer taps.
I just put hose in boiling water for 30 seconds or so and put a bit of 'O' ring grease on the barb ( vasoline if you have no 'O' ring grease )

Wonderfully timely thread, was planning to hook mine up tonight.
I'll start with just PET as I have heaps but could to know their are other options...

View attachment 48480 would be better to use a thicker gauge say 3 - 4 mm as this one only just pulls up to seal. Also the forks tend to spread after a while, just have to squash up in vice.
View attachment 48481
View attachment 48482
View attachment 48483
View attachment 48484 Pipe spacer

I guess it will depend on what bottles you intend to use but for me works well with Becks and Coopers tallies, can't see the rest of the crown seal type bottles being much different?
Amazing when someone describes it i have no idea what they're on about... and 1 simple photo and it all clicks into place! Fantastic workaround... so simple. Thanks mate, i'll have a search around down stairs to see if i can find a suitable washer.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Edit: Now i can do some aging in glass... Sweet!

For any one looking to make a washer adaptor for stubbies, I measured mine it is 2mm thick.
I reackon this would be O.K if you file the profile as close to the arc of the stubbie neck as possible.
This will leave a bit more metal at the base of the forks to stop them spreading.
If you look at the pic of the Becks stubbie, you will see the big gap at about 8 oclock, if I had left more metal here the washer would not spread.
Hope this helps, I'm stoked to have my stubbie back in hand!

These things are great and mine just arrived from craftbrewer. Ive got it tapped into the gas line via an on/off valve between my primary regs and secondary regs. Given I run the primary a bit higher to feed the secondaries I flicked the valve open and ended up with a rock hard PET bottle in about 1 second which got me thinking...

How much pressure can standard PET or indeed ( now we have the genius collar) glass bottles take before they decide to explode? Dont fancy losing my eardrums when it goes bang as I'm charging it with CO2

Cheers

Ged

How much pressure can standard PET or indeed ( now we have the genius collar) glass bottles take before they decide to explode? Dont fancy losing my eardrums when it goes bang as I'm charging it with CO2

Pretty sure Mythbusters did this trial, worth a search.

Tony

for what it's worth.....

this is my mod which allows me to fill sparkling wine bottles:

CPBF1.jpg

CPBF2.jpg

an instant "no tools" version of the washer adapter.

I worked this one out ages ago, but its really only a solution for a couple of bottles at a time, and you have to dick about taking the washer off one bottle and clipping on another. I want something that will sit in the filler so there are no extra steps. This nice metal washer version from claypot seems to fit the bill, just got to get around to making one. Nice work.

anyway for the lazy and tool challenged..

One fiber washer, snipped with kitchen scissors.
IMG_1149.jpg

Clip onto bottle just below the finish.
IMG_1150.jpg

Fit into filler. Its not rock solid, but it gets the job done with a little care.
IMG_1151.jpg

TB

Have been looking at getting one of these as I find my other CPBF is fiddly and I end up making a mess.
When using one of these, the beer that has been bottled, does it stay as carbonated as it was in the keg or does it lose a bit of carbonation?
Cheers
billygoat

for what it's worth.....

this is my mod which allows me to fill sparkling wine bottles:
G'day HoppinMad. Can you go into a bit more detail of what you've got there?

Looks like you've machined a washer to fit loosely around the top of the bottle, and then you seal with an O Ring?

Cheers,

Clint

Back