Foaming Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockadays

Reaction score
Hi guys,,

Just got my kegging setup almost running. I gassed up my ketg today with the Ross Method but ended up with about 200kpa pressure after shaking. I let it sit for a few hours and tried to pour a beer but all I get is foam and it comes out real quick so I'm presuming I have it over pressured. I let the head pressure out with the release on the keg so I can chek again tomorrow. Does this sound correct with what I'm doing. Also how long do you leave it after gassing before you start drinking. I'm targeting around 160kpa..

Matt

I dunno, couple of years working in Hydraulics and I still can't think of pressure unless it's in Pounds... but I'll try :D

Whenever I've gassed a keg I've only wound it up to ~160kpa max then give it a shake and watch the gauge drop. If it stops dropping, you've got that kinda pressure in your beer. Note you can still over carbonate a keg this way as well. And soemtimes after you've shaken it, it will take a while before it will take any more gas. Also the colder it gets, the more gas it takes, and at least with my fridge you need a good 48hrs to bring all the beer down to fridge temp.

So basically, you've got too much pressure going on. Check the temp of the beer, you should get at least some and make sure it's down to what you want to drink at usually 6-7deg straight after it's poured...for me at least, this equates to a fridge running temp of maybe 4deg ? but depends.
Also the first half a glass you pour will always but always be gassier than the rest of it. A cold tap helps, but ain't a full proof cure.
If you've got too much gas in there at the mo, may also be worth pulling the safety valve on the keg for a quick blast to lose some gas pressure fast.

Think thats it, sorry for the long winded post :ph34r:

Giving the keg a shake will help degas it quicker - leave the relief valve open overnight & recheck pour in the morning - repeat as necessary.

cheers ross

OTOH, no mention of pouring pressure, I find I can pour quite highly carbonated beers with a pouring pressure of say 8 pounds, ie 10 seconds to fill a schooner - if its still overly frothy, then its definately over carbonated. Oh and warm tap can be overcome with pouring out 50 mls truning off tap and waiting 10 or 20 seconds till the tap gets cold and finish the pour.

Thanks folks,,

It may have been the jayse method... I saw " Ross Method" in another post so I presumed it was from Ross.. Any how I'll give it a try now and let you know how it goes..

Matt

Thanks folks,,

It may have been the jayse method... I saw " Ross Method" in another post so I presumed it was from Ross.. Any how I'll give it a try now and let you know how it goes..

Matt

Don't stress Matt - It was just a method I put forward long ago that's proved popular - I didn't invent it, but some have tagged my name along with it (& yes it's the method I use) - Some get their noses put out of joint too easily :p

cheers Ross...

Ross,
Just checked it and gave it a squirt and shake to bring it to 120kpa. Is this about what I should be aiming for a final pressure??

Matt

Ross,
Just checked it and gave it a squirt and shake to bring it to 120kpa. Is this about what I should be aiming for a final pressure??

Matt

Matt, I'm not sure hom accurately using the dial method will work once you've over carbonated the beer. On the occasions I've over carbonated, I just use the shake & wait method - & then try pouring a beer between 50 & 80 kpa - if she still froths up, I just leave the relief valve open another 24 hrs or give it a shake if I'm in a hurry. When you next do your intial carbonation, reduce the rocking time a bit - it's far easier to rock for a few more seconds to add gas, than to try & remove it. Good luck.

cheers Ross

I gassed up my keg today with the Ross Method

Jayse????

I don't think anyone got their "noses out of joint"..I thought it was funny is all
Most of us have been using this method long before Ross started kegging.

It's not the fault of Ross he been tagged with the "Ross" method,guess I see funny sides in things :p

Batz

I don't think anyone got their "noses out of joint"..I thought it was funny is all

It's not the fault of Ross he been tagged with the "Ross" method,guess I see funny sides in things :p

Batz

Batz,

I wasn't referring to you with that comment - I laughed at your response myself :D

cheers Ross

Batz

Batz,

I wasn't referring to you with that comment - I laughed at your response myself :D

cheers Ross

Cheers mate thought you knew me well enough by now :party:

Batz

Back