Flow Restriction To/from March Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benno-5

Reaction score
Which side of the pump should I control the flow if i am going from the mash tun through the pump then via the heat exchanger in the hlt back to the mash.

Which side of the pump should I control the flow if i am going from the mash tun through the pump then via the heat exchanger in the hlt back to the mash.

Hey Benno,

Use a ball valve on the output of the pump.

As Jye says the delivery,never restrict the suction side of any pump,this causes all sorts of problems.

Batz

This wont cause to much back pressure in the pump??

None
With the magnetic impeller you can shut off the flow altogether,you will find the March pump has a low pressure anyway.

Batz

Edit. Of course you would not want the cut the flow off completely for an extented period of time,eventually you would have an over heat problem

Also remember that you don't necessarily have to have the valve immediately attached to the output of the pump. Most people put their valve directly on the pump housing, however my valve that controls flow is at the end of 3-4 ft of hosing on the receiving vessel.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be immediately after the pump, it just has to be on the output side of the pump. I put my valve at the receiving vessel because that was just the smarter place to put it on my brewery and made regulating flow easier and where I could see the flow rate while adjusting it.

Cheers, Justin

Also remember that you don't necessarily have to have the valve immediately attached to the output of the pump. Most people put their valve directly on the pump housing, however my valve that controls flow is at the end of 3-4 ft of hosing on the receiving vessel.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be immediately after the pump, it just has to be on the output side of the pump. I put my valve at the receiving vessel because that was just the smarter place to put it on my brewery and made regulating flow easier and where I could see the flow rate while adjusting it.

Cheers, Justin

Thanks. Thats the same setup as mine. The pump i used for my first batch had leaking problems (blew a seal), it was an impeller drive pump so the pressure back at the pump must have become to much for the pump to handle.

Back