Flat Beer Re-carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolds77

Reaction score
I made up a fresh wort kit and it has turned out flat. It tastes fine but just flat. I was wanting to know if I can re-add sugar to the bottles and re-cap or re-ferment with new yeast, then re-bottle with bottling sugar again?

How long have the bottles been carbonating for?

Need to rememebr that it takes longer in winter...

How long have the bottles been carbonating for?

Need to rememebr that it takes longer in winter...

And how long did the beer ferment for, what was the closing SG reading, how much sugar did you use per bottle to carbonate for ?

What temps have the bottles being resting at - real cold or somewhere a little warm ?

I double fermented and bottled on the 08 May. I used 2 carbonation drops per 750ml bottle. Would it be because of the double ferment, removing so much possible yeast that it may not have carbonated?

The bottles have been sitting in the garage underneathe my townhouse in sydney, so it gets a little chilly.

The bottles have been sitting in the garage underneathe my townhouse in sydney, so it gets a little chilly.

Sounds like you have sufficient sugar to carb with and no, you will still have plenty of yeast to secondary carb. Put some bottles somewhere warm (loungeroom) for a week or two and see how the carbonation is then. It sounds like they will carb okay when a little warmer (say over 16C).

Good luck

seems this is sorted out but i currently have a belgian dark strong 9% alc and has got too little carbonation think alcohol and high FG and not enough priming sugar did this been 5 months still flat and after reading about deus brut and there procedures thought could you place it in the freezer so the top freezes then uncap put more priminmg sugar in and then re-cap????

anyone tried it

seems this is sorted out but i currently have a belgian dark strong 9% alc and has got too little carbonation think alcohol and high FG and not enough priming sugar did this been 5 months still flat and after reading about deus brut and there procedures thought could you place it in the freezer so the top freezes then uncap put more priminmg sugar in and then re-cap????

anyone tried it

Deus and champagne have the neck frozen so the lees which have accumulated are trapped in the frozen tip of the bottle. The bottle is then opened and the pressure in the boole blows the ice out.
If your bottles have no carbonation what is going to blow the ice out?????

Regards

Graeme

Deus and champagne have the neck frozen so the lees which have accumulated are trapped in the frozen tip of the bottle. The bottle is then opened and the pressure in the boole blows the ice out.
If your bottles have no carbonation what is going to blow the ice out?????

Regards

Graeme

yer i know how the deus proccess works already , what i mean is that got me thinking that if there is no carbonation then it wouldnt blow out so when i add more priming sugar it wont gush out as it'd be sitting on the ice as when you freeze bottles the top is the first part to freeze and i'd be able to recap

yer i know how the deus proccess works already , what i mean is that got me thinking that if there is no carbonation then it wouldnt blow out so when i add more priming sugar it wont gush out as it'd be sitting on the ice as when you freeze bottles the top is the first part to freeze and i'd be able to recap

If you dissove your priming sugar in a bowl of boiling water and then apply a certain amount (once its cooled) to each longneck with a syringe it doesnt gush out of the top as with normal dry sugar. I remember years ago I had to do it after stuffing up my first attempt at bulk priming. From memory I dissolved 150gms in 250mls water and put in 0.7mls of solution into each longneck. I cant remember how I worked it out now but it worked.
Cheers
Steve

If you dissove your priming sugar in a bowl of boiling water and then apply a certain amount (once its cooled) to each longneck with a syringe it doesnt gush out of the top as with normal dry sugar. I remember years ago I had to do it after stuffing up my first attempt at bulk priming. From memory I dissolved 150gms in 250mls water and put in 0.7mls of solution into each longneck. I cant remember how I worked it out now but it worked.
Cheers
Steve

sounds good now i just need a borrow a syringe from the junkies at the train station ahaha

Latest posts

Back