Flacked Maze - Replacement Req.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stateside maize is a cheap form of fermentables, it also lightens (body wise) the beer, in UK or Oz sugar would be used.

I can't comment on a professional level, but at home sugar is definitely no substitute for corn. The later adds a slickness to mouthfeel as well as a sweetness and a, well, corny flavour. The former does not.

I prostituted a recipe from the BYO top 150 clone recipes book here... I used Caramunich 3 as I'm pretty sure at the time the LHBS was out of Medium crystal. I'm also pretty sure I didn't alter the level of flaked maize too much, but maybe I did... :unsure:... can't remember now.

Maybe the recipe you have found is a copy of, or another transgression of, this recipe. In saying that, if Dr K's source is who I think it is, I'd take it pretty much as gospel.

In case you're wondering, that recipe did come out very drinkable, but I'd halve the amount of flaked maize, or even omit it. It was, as Kai has mentioned, quite slick on the tongue and very noticable

My Fullers ESB recipe calls for Flacked Maze.

I don't have time to get an order into Ross so does anyone have a suggestion for what to substitute it for?

How do you calculate the replacement quantity? (Req: 400gms)

BOG

polenta.JPG

Use gram for gram

What does maize do in beers anyway?

Towards the end of the 19th century the use of modern artificial fertilisers in the UK was producing bumper crops of barley and wheat, but a lot of the barley was turning out high-protein and producing persistent hazes in beers. This at the time that cheap glassware was becoming available to the masses, and lighter pale ales etc were becoming popular. Not good news.
The use of maize and rice to soak up the 'excess diastatic power' of the malt became common. There was the added advantage of cost. Prior to the repeal of the Malt tax, adjuncts were taxed as being malt. Afterwards they were classed as sugars and incurred less tax. Here's an article from 1911 that mentions widespread adjuncts in British Beers a hundred years ago:

stateside maize is a cheap form of fermentables, it also lightens (body wise) the beer, in UK or Oz sugar would be used.

Maize and rice were widely introduced into US brewing in the 19th century as well because of the use of six row high protein barley and the increasing popularity of light coloured lagers (and the cheap glassware for all :rolleyes: ) pioneered by the likes of Anheuser Busch. This is also described in this other page of the 1911 article (second para.)
Nowadays in the UK with modern low nitrogen malts such as Maris Otter etc common, it is indeed just as effective to use sugar to lighten the body of session beers. In fact some UK malts are now so low-diastatic that Bairds recommend not using more than a few percent adjuncts (can't find the ref but I've read it a couple of times). So maize would have historically been used by Fullers no doubt, but not nowadays.

:icon_offtopic:
Aussie Malts are often high diastatic, for example Barrett Burston Galaxy Pilsener malt which is produced for the Asian Market and will quite happily convert a kilo of rice or maize in a normal 23L brew. These are good malts to use if experimenting with maize and rice and can produce some really nice SE Asian styles, Cervezas etc. where all-malt is OTT for a particular style.

OK, so most say Maze is out. but I can use Polenta or corn flakes if required.

Any suggestions on changes to the recipe as listed?

BOG

The books by Graham Wheeler appear to be the source for most of the basic UK ale recipes. Its interesting to notice that between the publication of Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home in 1993 and the updated version renamed Brew Your Own British Real Ale last year (2009) all the Maze has disappeared from the recipes.
I suspect that this reflects what is happening in UK commercial brewing, apparently Wheeler gets lots of good firsthand information from brewers/breweries and this is reflected in the changing recipes he presents.
Similar for Invert Sugar, I dont think many brewers go to the extra expense, unless they are looking for specific colours or flavours from the darker versions.
MHB

Bribe
Galaxy is very high in B-Glucanase; its not much different to other base malts when it comes to Amylase. The distinction is fairly important, if your adjunct is torrefied the high B-Glucanase isnt much of a matter for concern.
M

BOG
Just use white sugar as Sugar has a 100% yield to get the right amount of sugar:-
Maze has a potential of about 70%, if your mash efficiency was say 80%
Mass of Maze X 0.7 X 0.8 = Mass Sugar.
M

so you are seriously suggesting that an "iconic" beer such as Fullers ESB uses corn?
budweiser + rice = OK
cap + maize = OK
fosters + sugar = OK
fullers + maize/corn/polenta......I think not
I'm brewing an ESB clone tomorrow - and wonder why you are so certain that ESB can't contain corn. Why do you think not? I know that subsequent to this post you rang the brewery, but what insight do you have to make this statement.

Check this link.
http://rarebeerclub.beveragebistro.com/rbcbeer_12.html

According to the Head Brewer at Fullers, ESB is 91.5% pale malt, 5 maize, 3.5% crystal. Now this might be a few years old, and it might well be correct that ESB no longer contains maize, but it was definitely an icon at the time of this interview. Even though an icon cannot possibly contain maize (please tell us why not!).

The recipe for ESB from the Real Ale Almanac also contains 370g maize.
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtop...p?p=63683#63683

Just what is wrong with maize? Will I ruin my ESB with it?

Back