Flacked Maze - Replacement Req.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
My Fullers ESB recipe calls for Flacked Maze.

I don't have time to get an order into Ross so does anyone have a suggestion for what to substitute it for?

How do you calculate the replacement quantity? (Req: 400gms)

BOG

I strongly suspect that Fullers do not use faked maize in their beer.
Especially at such a high level (assuming double batch)
I would leave the faked maize out, in fact I would discount the recipe entirely and try for another.

K

I would leave the faked maize out, in fact I would discount the recipe entirely and try for another.

K

:lol:

Polenta will do fine, search "flaked Maize" or "Flaked Corn" or "Polenta" use the quotes if searching a two word string. Look for cooking directions.

Screwy

so you are seriously suggesting that an "iconic" beer such as Fullers ESB uses corn?
budweiser + rice = OK
cap + maize = OK
fosters + sugar = OK
fullers + maize/corn/polenta......I think not

so you are seriously suggesting that an "iconic" beer such as Fullers ESB uses corn?
budweiser + rice = OK
cap + maize = OK
fosters + sugar = OK

Dr k - Many British beers contain small quantities of maize - I rarely make one without adding. Can't comment on its use Fullers ESB as I don't know the recipe, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers Ross

budweiser + rice = OK
cap + maize = OK
fosters + sugar = OK

Not THE recipe K, But his obviously does :lol:

He wanted to know what to sub for flaked maize!

Cheers,

Screwy

no doubt about the maize, it is one of the many brewers arms. It is the qty that suprises me, 400gm even in a double batch is quite a lot and i suspect the recipe ws for a single.
now almost all british breweries use sugar as well, in a small part but usually greater than maize (so I have been told by reliable sources)

K

no doubt about the maize, it is one of the many brewers arms. It is the qty that suprises me, 400gm even in a double batch is quite a lot and i suspect the recipe ws for a single.
now almost all british breweries use sugar as well, in a small part but usually greater than maize (so I have been told by reliable sources)

K

The Fullers ESB recipe that I have (G Wheeler) is simply 92.5% Pale, 7.5% Crystal, with 34IBU of Target, Challenger and Northdown for bittering and .5g/l of Goldings for 10 min. Simple, no sugar or maize.

Screwy

just got off the phone to Fullers, well the brewery manager
they DO NOT use maize. They used a tiny portion for a while a long time ago, so small as to be insignificant apparently.

K

stateside maize is a cheap form of fermentables, it also lightens (body wise) the beer, in UK or Oz sugar would be used.

stateside maize is a cheap form of fermentables, it also lightens (body wise) the beer, in UK or Oz sugar would be used.

So dextrose would do the job? I'm trying to replicate Fullers Lonon Pride so any advice would be gold.

sugar is cheaper.
but i would use all malt

just got off the phone to Fullers, well the brewery manager
they DO NOT use maize. They used a tiny portion for a while a long time ago, so small as to be insignificant apparently.

K
....& the actual recipe is??? :)

If your on a phone call basis please let us know what the receipe is !!

Didn't actually get an answer though.
I'll leave it out this time and see what happens. I'll add some dex to push it's SG back up again.
Also ,yes 400gm was a bit high , 250gm was the actual number.

My Fullers ESB Recipe is as follows:

30 Litre Mash, 24 Litre boil, 18 Litre batch (losses thoughout included)

3kg Marris Otter (5.9 EBC)
1kg Munich (12 EBC)
0.25kg Amber Malt (45.3 EBC)
0.25kg Carapills (3.9 EBC)
0.25kg Flaked Corn (0.0 EBC)
0.15kg Dark Crystal (216 EBC)
0.10kg Light Crystal (145 EBC)

Hops are;

15gm Target @ 60
15gm Challenger @ 40
15gm Northdown @ 15
20gm EK Goldings @ 0

Either WLP 023 or 013.

And

PH 5.2 water additive
Whirlfloc
I used to add water salts but someone told me not to add Burton Water adjustments and PH 5.2 (where they wrong)

So my origional question was what to replace the corn with.

Screwy says no Maze at all, anyone else?

BOG

I use Home Brand corn flakes.

The small amount of salt helps with my water profile too.

Edit,, I use 500g in a double batch, roughly 5% of grain bill.

You can also use polenta as screwy mentioned

Same weight for weight ?

Yep, same weight. It's basically the same thing.

It just gives the beer a bit more kick without adding any unfermentables.
I like an ESB to have an OG of 1.060ish, and with the low attenuating english yeasts I think this helps to 'dry' the beer out so you don't end up with a final gravity that's too high.

Latest posts

Back