Fixa's Big Road Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
Well folks, i've been away for 5 weeks (what, you haven't noticed????), on a trip from Mackay Qld to Melbourne, Vic and return. All up just under 7000kms for thoseplaying at home.

After my 9 litre keg ran out 6 days into the journey, i became a little upset. Having resorted to bought beers, i became pleasently surprised when we lobbed into Bright, Vic, late one sunday arvo for the night, where I spied the Bright Brewery... Just happened to be right across the river from where we camped for the night too!! nice... Had the tasting plate. 5 Beers from memory... Very dissapointed. The pale ale was the only beer i liked.. Staff on didn't know about the brewing process or anything... Ah well. Bought some of the pale ale to tide me over...

Next day, heading toward the hume, make a quick detour to beechworth.. hmm says i to the missus, there's a brewery here. And so we visited the Bridge Road Brewery. Tasting "plate" of 11 beers each 120ml.. followed by me not driving! All beers bloody beautiful, the Celtic red the standout beer for me, but they introduced my missus to wheat beers, and she particulary enjoyed the hefe weizen.

Next up after visiting some friends came Holgates in woodend. Nice pub, Beautiful beers. My first real ale.. All beers bloody good....

Then later that week a trip to Grand Ridge at Mirboo North. Unfortunately the bar was being refurbished the day we were there, but still enjoyed some nice beers from bottles. The Gippsland Gold was exceptional.. I recommend you try their "supershine" 11% beer with your PJ's on.. it's got kick!!!!

Was trying to get a trip in to Red Hill too, but time ran out.

Overall, Bridge Road Brewery was exceptional, and my least fav was Bright Brewery..

But it has introduced the missus to a lot of beers that she now likes, and this helps me with future brewery spendage!!!!

Sounds like a good trip Simon, whatch out once the brewwench got the taste, brewing became a full time ocupation and I am flat out trying to keep up... ;)

Got to love a good road trip...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back