Fitting A Ball Valve To Your Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gillie said:
This is cool and may do it to my urn but why do at all? I have no prob with the tap on it.
Just keen to know what it does for brew day?
1. To adjust the flow so you can run your wort through a plate chiller at a rate that will allow cooling of the wort properly, and so you don't pull the trub cone into the fermenter.
2. Because often a hose won't clamp onto the standard outlet.
3. Bling factor, one can never have enough shiny stainless fittings in the brewery
4. As Slash 2200 says, so you don't flip it on accidentally.
5. So it looks like a brewing vessel and not something from Aunty Doris bingo club..lol

I use the standard urn tap and have no problems with it. I do no chill so don't need flow controls.

Cheers

I upgraded the tap on my urn to a 3 piece ball valve a few months ago and I am glad I did. It was too much of a pain in the arse draining the wort through the old tap with a funnel into a hose into the cube... not saying it was particularly difficult but I no chill in cubes too and it's just so much easier putting the hose over the nipple and opening the valve and letting it go. When it gets down towards the trub I close it up a bit so it flows slower and I get more wort in the cube before the trub starts getting sucked into it. Teflon tape is a must though I think. It provides a seal on the threads to stop it leaking, without it you just have bare threads and nothing to stop liquid seeping through them.

1. To adjust the flow so you can run your wort through a plate chiller at a rate that will allow cooling of the wort properly, and so you don't pull the trub cone into the fermenter.
2. Because often a hose won't clamp onto the standard outlet.
3. Bling factor, one can never have enough shiny stainless fittings in the brewery
4. As Slash 2200 says, so you don't flip it on accidentally.

I agree but whats wrong with bingo !??!

I clamp a hose to my tap no probs and no chill into jerry can. I think point 3. is the big one for me tho BLING IT UP!!!!

Thinking of getting a 40ltr urn so may wait just to make sure I have a spare if things go bad. Love biab ya!

Is there any tips on getting the tap off? it feels like they used some sort of sealant or glue, i got the sight tube off that was an effort but cant get the tap too budge and don't want to warp the metal.

Get a shifter on it and hit the shifter with a hammer.

90% of the time it works 100% of the time.

Innox is derived from sheep AFAIK. Give it a go couldn't hurt. Dunno if it is as effective for deep penetration.

Ok guys managed to get the little bugger off. Now im having difficulty in finding outwhat order the taps goes together.
Do you put the o ring on in or outsideof the urn, same with the ss washer. I have a female inch section that i use to screw on the inside so i can fit a boozoka to the tap.

I seem to find that the o ring causes the tap to move when turning on or off anf thus leak do i just not have it tight enough?

Bit late but the for next one - I filled it with water to past the tap and turned it on. When it was hot I drained it and it unscrewed easily.

Nut - washer -o ring - Urn Wall - o ring - washer - nut

Dont forget plumbers tape and dont over tighten as you could warp the urn.

James

Just went for a look and I dont have tape there, got it where barb connects though.

I also remember destroying at a silicon ring so only have one of those on it.

It's been a while since I did mine but I'm pretty sure I only have one silicon ring on the inside of the urn under the washer/nut and just the washer on the outside of it. All threads except the barb itself are taped with Teflon tape (plumbers). No leaks whatsoever. I've also used the tape on the thread of the sight gauge as well.

Back