Fisher & Paykel Hinges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I've nearly finished my collar but am faced with the dreaded hinges. After reading the 'Fridge Setup's' thread I see a mixture of people using a stick and a few hero's who got them back on. Personally after about an hour of frigin around I have no idea. :blink:

These instructions are in the thread, but I can't see and way to get the lid laying at 180 degrees with a screw in the hinge. Looking for any tips or a photo of a working hinge. Please save the stick men!

1. Screw the bottom half of the hinge to the collar. You'll notice it has a little hook sticking up to hold the torsion bar in place.
2. Line up the lid in a fully open position at the back of the freezer (flipped right the way back so it is 180 degrees open... you'll need some room for this manoeuvre). Probably easier to get someone to hold it in this spot but I did it solo by balancing the lid on two kegs with buckets on top.
3. Once the lid is in this position the torsion bar can slipped behind the hooks on the bottom half of the hinge that is screwed to the collar. With the lid 180 degrees open there is bugger all tension on them.
4. Then fit the little plastic shoe over the end of the torsion bar to prevent it digging in to your collar. Now the torsion bars are in place with the shoes, my collar is holding up fine to the pressure.
5. Then slowly fold the lid up towards 90 degrees open until you can line up the top of the hinge enough to bang in a few screws.

Hey presto... working hinged lid. I am absolutely convinced that it is impossible to get those torsion bars in any other way... not that I didn't try pretty hard first smile.gif

Here's a photo of my fisher & paykel chest freezer (210L I think). I couldn't figure this out until I went back to the shop and had a look at an intact freezer (I pulled it apart without paying attention to how it works) It was actually pretty easy once I saw a working one. You don't need to get the lid laying back 180 degrees - I didn't even have space to do this. I put it on with the lid open just a bit more than what it would be with the lid attached. Fit one of the back screws on each hinge then lower the lid into position wth the wire pointing towards you. You shouldn't need to force it.

I hope that makes sense. I did this mid way through last year and its one of those things that's easy once you get it...

27032011075.jpg

Ok lol, that's not even close to what I was trying to do with it.

Thanks very much for the picture man!

Ok lol, that's not even close to what I was trying to do with it.

Thanks very much for the picture man!

I may have the same fridge, (Same hinges as above, but i have a wire instead of plate??)
I simply redrilled them into the wooden collar and pushed the wires back in...? Fridge has to be at about 30-45 degrees open - not 180.

I simply re-drilled them into the wooden collar and pushed the wires back in...?
You drilled a hole into the rear of the timber collar and poked the wire in?

If anyone happens to find this thread down the track, as long as you get the wires under the two hooks (that I circled below) and use something to put the end of the wire in if you don't have the square ends that Andrew's picture has you're good to go. Without the ends it will dig up the collar. Some firm open ended plastic tube will do - I used my old bottle filler as I lost one of those when the hinge came off. I was able to do it with the hinges on using a pair of those adjustable monkey wrench grips and a screwdriver.

Thanks again for the picture, would have driven me crazy using a stick. :icon_chickcheers:

2i8k3v9.jpg

I spent ages trying to get the wires back in place, now I've just got a piece of wood to prop the lid open when needed.

I found it was easiest to have only the rear screws on and have the hinges held up by the screws as high as they can go in the slots

Then have the lid fully open ie 90*

Then twist the bar (the end of which is pointing toward the rear) into place (under the hook circled above) sliding the plastic bit on in the process

There isn't too much tension in this position and can be done by hand

I have a new H275X

Cheers

I read as much as I could about replacing these hinges but for the life of me couldn't get them back with the torsion bars intact last night :angry:

Round 2 scheduled for tonight after work ;)

2nd times a treat! Managed to get the lid fitted last night as per AndrewSA's advice in post #2 - Thanks mate :super:

Minimal swearing, no blood and managed not to piss off SWMBO who was my assistant for the evening.

i originally gave up on using the torsion bars.. just couldnt' figure it out to install hinges and torsion bars as others had posted.. ripped torsion bars off and was going to use a broomstick... fitted up the hinges as per normal hinges, and then to my surpirse was just able wiggle the torsion bars into place and they work perfectly. very glad now, as lifting a corny over the collar and avoiding the taps is harder than i'd thought, a broomstick as well would cause even more obstacles!

Anyone have a more detailed way of explaining this or a video? I've just about ripped my fingers off trying to put this bloody torsion bar back on!

Latest posts

Back