first time Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno if it works as well with kegged beer, but the syringe trick works a treat for my bottled stout. Just get a decent sized plastic syringe (most chemists sell them), pour the beer carefully to avoid a head, pull up a syringe full and then squirt back into the glass nice and hard. You get a beautiful Guinness-like cascade and then a thick, creamy, long-lasting head. Works for me...

What pressure u carbing the kegs? My system runs about 120-140kpa and it usually takes a 4-7 days to get to where it pours with a good head. If it isnt pouring well after this time then u may have a leak somewhere?

Yes the pocket beer engine works well. Other than that you can invest in a nitro system: a stout tap and a nitro regulator, with a cylinder of Multimix 70/30 Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide.

If you don't want to go the full nitro route, apparently using a stout tap (which has a "restrictor" plate in the flow path) with the CO2 turned right up during the pour will still give you almost but not quite a Guinness head without giving you a shampoo as well. You can get a stout tap for around $60 ebay - sponsor doesn't seem to have them on the site anymore.

Went to the brew shop today to get some flaked oats and lactose for a stout I plan to brew tomorrow, only to come home with flaked barley and lactose. Will this flaked barley still give the the smooth silky mouth feel that I get from the oats? How much should I use in a 23l batch?

todaystout.jpgFlaked Barley will give you awesome head retention .I use 500g of it today in a 40L batch of stout.

Latest posts

Back