First time dry hop.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know there is a million ways to dry hop, but what way should I go. It's a pacific ale type beer, 30grams per 19 litres.
Shall I drop it fermenter in temp controlled fridge, if so at what stage of fermentation?
Or do I,
Drop it into keg then rack it over to another before it's carbed?
Cheers.

Personally I've moved away from keg hopping cold. I dry-hop in the fermenter with one or two points to go, let sit for 3-5 days (depending on which hops and quantity) at 18-20C then crash to settle the hops out in the trub before transferring to keg.

Everyone will have their own way, I've found that 2 days at primary temp then crash for two days is sufficient and I don't pick up much more past that. If you have the facility try a side by side?

Either with 2-3 points to ferment or right after fermentation. Drop temp to 17c (usually from 21c after a 4 day temp ramp during ferment) the temp drop gets any yeast to drop out yet still at a warm temp for the dry hop. Add the hops to FV and leave for 2-3days then cold crash to package and carbonate.

droid said:
Personally I've moved away from keg hopping cold. I dry-hop in the fermenter with one or two points to go, let sit for 3-5 days (depending on which hops and quantity) at 18-20C then crash to settle the hops out in the trub before transferring to keg.
Just out of interest why have you moved away from keg hopping ?

Or temperature?

Some prefer dry hopping in cold beer, others swear by the opposite.

rude said:
Just out of interest why have you moved away from keg hopping ?
Just the way things have rolled, I was Keg hopping in stockings etc and loved the results, it's good in a couple of ways because when you think it's enough you can pull the bag. And you can drink it earlier than spending time, warm dry-hopping.

Name drop time;
A while ago Tiago Falcone (a brewer at Beavertown Brewery - Robert Plant's Sons place) gave me some advice on making a clone of Neck-Oil...part of the advice was he said the dry-hop is always done warm at 18-20degC.

Around that time I also read up on brulosophy's findings about warm vs cold dry-hopping and I agree that there's a bit more punch and brightness to the warm dry-hop...just as Moad said - each to their own, I mean a cold keg hop with maybe a bit more hops might be smoother and have the same punch.

I also believe that alcohol will pull out the oils hence why you can randal and so the temperature is more about how the hops are presented to your palate, which is personal preference or maybe just how your're rolling at the time.

Cheers for the reply s
Big name drop that one all good

Latest posts

Back