First Stout Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for all the responses. I think I am going to go with 1/2 the batch with 1 carb drop and the other half with 2, work out what I like ans stick with it.
Also, my stout ferment stoppped bubbling after 2 days. Is this normal, or do I have dead yeast? It's be sitting constantly at about 22c, so I dont know why it would have stopped?

Cheers,

Budron

Airlock activity is not a true indication of how fermentation is going as the fermenter may not be sealing too well so, after a couple of days of vigorous bubbling the gas could be escaping elsewhere and give the impression that fermentation has stopped.

Hydrometer hydrometer hydrometer

If you are using home brew style 750ml PET bottles then do yourself a favour: for a third of the cost of two priming lollies, just drop one supermarket sugar cube into each bottle for an identical effect.

Thanks mate, I've tried to read as much as I can, but there's a lot to all this brew stuff! But already starting to love it!

Oh and cheers for the sugar cube advice! I presume it's the same if i'm using glass 750ml?

Oh and cheers for the sugar cube advice! I presume it's the same if i'm using glass 750ml?
I haven't tried them, but they may not quite fit through the opening. BribieG will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong!

If not, I'll give them a whirl, or at least get some for standby as I mostly bulk prime these days.

I haven't tried them, but they may not quite fit through the opening. BribieG will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong!

If not, I'll give them a whirl, or at least get some for standby as I mostly bulk prime these days.

Nearly all PET bottles have the same sized opening and God has designed that CSR sugar cubes should EXACTLY fit through the opening. Wondrous times we live in :icon_chickcheers:

I should probably enable signatures to make sure I'm not linking stuff that's already in butter's sig >_< (the first thing I do on joining a forum is usually disabling sigs :|)

Nearly all PET bottles have the same sized opening and God has designed that CSR sugar cubes should EXACTLY fit through the opening. Wondrous times we live in :icon_chickcheers:
How's about those silly, backward, glass- based heathen who got the shock of their lives when Plastic Jehovah showed up one day with his fancy wide PET religion and its sweet cubic prophet! They had such a narrow mono- theistic approach to the universe with its rich saccharine splendour and did live their lives in darkness, eternally haunted in their waking and their sleep by lozenge- shaped sprites, the evil sound of smashing glass, and nightmare rivulets of divine frothy essence! :p

Back