First Southern Californian Biab.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your predicted of 1.065 is correct it is higher then what my spreadsheet is set up for as I only got 1.055. My water is set different and I am set at 75%.

Your water does not sound correct. I loose more to boil off and gunk. For that recipe I would start with about 8.5 gallons.

It could be not stirring enough in the beginning or the crush is too big. I do a mash out step at the end of at least 170F and that may be helping me out. I also stir quite a bit in the first 15 minutes or so making sure my heat is correct and taking pH measurements. I also wrap up my kettle with an old comforter to try and keep my mash temp with in a few degrees.

I think it is time for someone else to give some advice.

Brilliant! Hadn't thought that I was using too much water. However, I have experienced the loss in efficiency when I brew all grain as well. Here's the last recipe that I did all grain...

10.5 lbs 2 row
2.25 lbs Crystal 75
.5 lbs. Crystal 120

.5 oz. Centennial @ 60
1.0 oz. Cascade @ 30
.5 oz. Cascade @ flameout
.5 oz. Centennial @ flameout

Strike water 7 gallons
Strike temp 170F
Grain temp 75F
Mash In temp 165F
Mash time 120 minutes stirring every half hour for about a minute
Mash out temp 155F
Boil volume 6.25 gallons
Volume into fermenter 5.5 gallons
Estimated OG 1.065
Measured gravity into fermenter 1.040
Final gravity 1.015

Apologies to our friends in OZ for the Imperial units This is half the batch previously posted and the temps are the same.

JimK

If your predicted of 1.065 is correct it is higher then what my spreadsheet is set up for as I only got 1.055. My water is set different and I am set at 75%.

Your water does not sound correct. I loose more to boil off and gunk. For that recipe I would start with about 8.5 gallons.

It could be not stirring enough in the beginning or the crush is too big. I do a mash out step at the end of at least 170F and that may be helping me out. I also stir quite a bit in the first 15 minutes or so making sure my heat is correct and taking pH measurements. I also wrap up my kettle with an old comforter to try and keep my mash temp with in a few degrees.

I think it is time for someone else to give some advice.

Thanks for taking the time to analyze my technique, katzke! Stirring isn't something I was paying much attention to. I'll put it to the test next batch. More water as well.

Thanks again!

JimK

Latest posts

Back