First Runnings For Lower Gravity Beers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
Has any one tried this?

Basically Im thinking of making some sort of ale as normal but mash a little warmer and not sparge at all and adding water to the kettle to get the volume right.

Its an expensive way of making a lower grav beer but im not brewing to save money but to make great beers.

is this the same as george fix's no-sparge technique?

sorry, I've just reread fix's post. not quite the same - the no-sparge method you mash so you end up with full boil volume from the first runnings - no topup.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/977.html#977-3

your idea sounds like a good one. I keep a low grav ordinary bitter as my house/experimental beer, this might be a good improvement option.

I am pretty sure Asher did exactly that for a mild of some sort and I also think I recall he won something at the Matilda Bay comp with it, so you could try a PM to him.

You could make a pretty good Imperial stout that way. would be hard to predict though.

'Ash's first runnings midstrength technique'

Mashing hot (67-68) and using HEAPS of specialty malts like crystal, amber, etc and hop it well with anything good would make a pretty good beer i reckon! you could drink the stuff all night too.

Have a quick google of partigyle brewing if you haven't already, ash.

thats not quite what i was thinking of, but worth trying one day.

maybe i could use the runnings to make another lower grav beer and see what the differences are.

Latest posts

Back