First Post

• Thread starter Brewnicorn
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brewnicorn

G'day fellow brewers.
Sam here. I've just rejoined the brewing community after. 15 year break. Things have changed. Great reading through all your posts and info. I have a heap to catch up on.
Kicked off my first brew last weekend being a Black Rock Golden ale using some Nottingham ale yeast, Galaxy hops and a specialty malt blend from Australian Home Brewing at Richmond. Using a coopers fermenter with a Krausen Kollar. Not wild about that set up. Got bubbles, got condensation, got a lovely beer smell. Pretty small Krausen. Keep you all posted on progress. Thanks for having me . One pic attached. Comments recommendations welcome on temp, times, Krausen etc.
cheers
Sam
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472083015.669838.jpg

Hi Sam and isn't it great to be brewing again. Seems you have everything in order just keep temp around18/20 degrees and you'll be laughing.
Cheers

G'day Sam and welcome back to brewing. You may not find hat you need the Krausen Kollar on most average ABV ales and Lagers as those Coopers FVs have a big capacity. They are really handy though if you intend to do some big two can stouts or IPA's. + 1 for Grott's advice on temperature and leave it in the fermenter for a second week to let all of the yeast clean itself up.

Thanks Grott. That's reassuring. It's bang on 20 at the moment. Worried I pitched the yeast too warm at 24degrees but I'm told should be ok.
Thanks Lagerfrenzy. I'm keen to grab some more gear and get into some other brews. Some of these mad Krausen YouTube videos have me envious.
Follow up question, I've never primed with a second vessel. I don't really like carb drops which is what I've used before - too carbed- but how does dosing every bottle with priming sugar compare?
Cheers guys

I still bottle prime with table sugar. Got the plastic measurer from the Home Brew shop and I dose each bottle with about two or three mls below the line for 750 ml bottles for the carb level that I like. Works out $$$ cheaper than buying the drops as well.

Brewnicorn said:
Follow up question, I've never primed with a second vessel. I don't really like carb drops which is what I've used before - too carbed- but how does dosing every bottle with priming sugar compare?
I've done both. Batch priming is not too hard, but be prepared to muck it up or forget something (like I did the few times I've tried it). Since then, I've taken to trimming my drops with a sharp knife. I'm aiming for about 2 volumes (ish), and I put 1 drop in a 450mL grolsch bottle, or 1.5 drops in a 750mL brown PET bottle. Seems to give me a good level that I'm happy with.

Slicing them isn't a big deal for me as I usually keg most of my batches, bottling just a few bottles each time to take to brew club meetings or now starting to do comps.

Thanks pcqypcqy and again Largerfrenzy.
I've seen the tri measures at the store so I may try that. Any concerns with contamination there? I suppose the same risk as a carb drop. They sell pill splitters at the chemist- not sure that's what you'd be keen on for halving your drops but it works like a little guillotine.
Well I couldn't resist a smell when I got home today (day 5) sharp hoppy sweet beer like smell. Very keen. Hope it works out.
Any suggestions for the next kit gladly taken.

You can use carb drops, but don't take notice of the packet which says 2/longneck, I only use one or half a one for a stubby.
Get a cheap set of measuring spoons and a small funnel and use caster sugar, 1/3 tsp for a 330ml, 2/3 tsp for a 500ml, and 1 tsp for a 750ml.

Hey Brewnicorn - I keep my bottling sugar in an airtight Tupperware dish and I sanitise the scoop whilst doing the bottles so that is dry when ready to go so no sanitation issues there.

Re your next brew I recommend the Mangrove Jack Craft Series pouches - they cost more but they come with a premium yeast and are pretty damned close to all grain in quality.

If you are using 750ml brown PET bottles, all I ever use is CSR sugar cubes, one per bottle. Way cheaper than carb drops.

Bribie G, Lagerfrenzy and Hpal
Thanks for the tips. The idea of using sugar and dosing per bottle seems like an awesome way to go. I'm using 750ml long necks (fat ones with short necks as it happens) but all glass.
Bring on mangrove jacks.
Sam
Ps - did a gravity read on Thursday and it's looking ok.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472250193.286575.jpg

Brewers,

Bottling day is approaching and I'm getting a bit excited. I've decided to take the plunge and give bulk priming a go using a second vessel! I've read through heaps of posts talking about carb drops over table sugar over dextrose. I went with dextrose in the end - the home brew shop guy said it'll be cleaner in the bottle, which I take as less sediment! I've looked at heaps of calculators and 120-130g dextrose seems to be the magic number for about 21 litres of beer.

Long story short, any last minute tips or suggestions before I get cracking on Friday?

Storing the bottled brew in a cool dark place is best so I'm told, so that's my plan!

As always happy to take advice from the experts!

Cheers
Sam

Sadly some home brew shop staff tend to speak out their arse, while some are objective and knowledgeable. Probably the former in this case when it comes to the bottle carbonation results.
FWIW, same as Bribie, I use CSR sugar cubes (no affiliation), they are brilliant, fit the PET bottle mouth and just the right amount for my tastes (slightly lower), plus cheaper than carb drops too. I used to bulk prime but now it's a PITA as I only fill half a dozen bottles and the rest goes into a cornie.
Anyway, nevertheless you'll certainly be making beer, should be fine.

Bribie G said:
If you are using 750ml brown PET bottles, all I ever use is CSR sugar cubes, one per bottle. Way cheaper than carb drops.
That's a great idea. I usually have 7litres left over to bottle when double batching after filling 2kegs or
3litres of so on a single batch. I've been bulk priming even when there's only a couple of bottles to fill. I tried the carb drops years ago and was way to gassy. I'm gunna have to give the csr cubes a go. Thanks mate. Top one.

RdeVjun said:
Sadly some home brew shop staff tend to speak out their arse, while some are objective and knowledgeable. Probably the former in this case when it comes to the bottle carbonation results.
FWIW, same as Bribie, I use CSR sugar cubes (no affiliation), they are brilliant, fit the PET bottle mouth and just the right amount for my tastes (slightly lower), plus cheaper than carb drops too. I used to bulk prime but now it's a PITA as I only fill half a dozen bottles and the rest goes into a cornie.
Anyway, nevertheless you'll certainly be making beer, should be fine.
Haha thanks RdeVjun - Yes there is the whiff of BS around some of the sales people. I've stuck to what I know and this is an area where I don't know much. I do know the carb drops were all too gassy years ago, but I'd happily try some CSR cubes in future. I'm using some coopers long necks at 750ml and I'd say the necks are narrow from my perspective. Most beer drinkers might say the same I reckon. Any brews you don't recommend the cubes for? I'm doing a pale ale/golden ale kit put together by one of the home brew shops.

As always grateful for the advice!

Evening Brewers!
Thanks as always for the input through the first brew. Bottled it last night and gave bulk priming a go. Oxygenation is/was a concern but hoping for the best. 25 tallies from the 21 litre brew minus the hydrometer tests. Tasted ok flat and smelled great. Here's hoping. Some pics below! Wish me luck!
Sam

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472912695.329412.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472912717.646199.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472912731.176264.jpg

I've always bulk primed in a second fermenter, but lately I've had 2 brews in at once so I've taken to bulk priming in the primary fermenter. I just dissolve sugar or dex (usually about 160g dex or 130g sugar for a 23lt ale) in about a cup of hot water, gently pour it in, then gently stir with a sanitized spoon. I then leave it for 15 or 20 mins while I sanitize my bottles which gives it a chance to settle before bottling.

Seems to work out pretty well - just as consistent as ordinary bulk priming and it doesn't stir up the trub if you're careful.

Gents, the first brew is technically 4 days from its minimum bottle time. But I tried one today. And... It tastes ok hey. Tastes like beer got that lovely Galaxy hoppy smell and rich flavour. Maybe a little under carbonated but nice.
Based on malbeven's 160g Dex figures not surprised as I went for 130g using an online carbonation calculator for 21 litres. Pretty happy for this as a return run after a good 15+ year break. :)

Recap: Brewcraft Aussie Pale Ale kit - Black Rock Golden Ale, light malt booster packet, Galaxy hops and Lellemand Nottingham ale yeast.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473579760.657255.jpg

Looks bloody great, they'll taste a lot better in a few weeks, but who can last that long with their first brew for sometime. Hope the fermenter has been fired up again.
Cheers

grott said:
Looks bloody great, they'll taste a lot better in a few weeks, but who can last that long with their first brew for sometime. Hope the fermenter has been fired up again.
Cheers
Thanks Grott. Fermenter is seeing some action as we speak.
I went to a different brew shop this weekend and I've grabbed a Muntons IPA Bitter Mix. Seemed like an odd label/blend but i like a nice bitter. It's bubbling away in the garage now. Anyone got thoughts on Muntons?
Pic attached

1 next beer.jpg

Latest posts

Back