First Partial - A Few Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandgarden

Reaction score
Hi,
I've done some extract with steeped grain brews and for my next brew I'd like to try a partial mash. I need some help/advise on the grains part of the recipe.

I want do an American Pale Ale something along the lines of this extract recipe I've done before (but with different hops, Simcoe and maybe Amarillo):

Ingredients
3.75 kg Liquid Malt Extract (1.5kg in boil, remainer late addition)
0.25 kg Crystal 60L
Hops: Cascade (100g split over 5 additions (60, 30, 10, 0 mins & dry)
Yeast: US-05

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Est Profile: OG: 1.049, FG: 1.014, ABV: 4.5 - 5%, Bitterness: 34 IBU

My pot is 12L.

I plan on ordering my supplies from http://libertybrewing.co.nz. They have 'Gladfield Ale Malt', which I'm guessing would be the most appropriate base malt from what they have on offer. How much would I need (remember my pot is just 12L)? What other grains should I add? I'm guessing .25kg Crystal 60 and maybe some Weyermann Carapils to help with head retention (a weakness in my brews to date), how much?

What about Irish Moss - is that worthwhile in a partial mash?

I have a muslin bag that I use for steeping grains - will that do the job for a partial mash grainbag or do I need to get to get Swiss Voile?

I assume I would do the 60min hops boil with just the wort from the grains and then add the LME or DME at the end - is that best approch?

Anything else I need to think about?

Thanks in advance
Aidan

i am too interested in how this tastes too. i have done 3 partials and am having a few issues after taste in the bottle went from creamy to bitter :(

the muslin bag should be okay. i was evening thinking about use the hop bags as i was only using 30g of grains..

when i have done mine i have added my LDME and LLME after the steeping and boiled it. i gather this is how some brew shops do it and seems fine to me, plus i think the hops would work better in the full wort.

I havent tried the irish moss in my brews. i think its mainly there to help with the hot break??

i would stick with your hop additions for a 60 min boil. they help give your bitterness.

Hi,
I've done some extract with steeped grain brews and for my next brew I'd like to try a partial mash. I need some help/advise on the grains part of the recipe.

I want do an American Pale Ale something along the lines of this extract recipe I've done before (but with different hops, Simcoe and maybe Amarillo):

Ingredients
3.75 kg Liquid Malt Extract (1.5kg in boil, remainer late addition)
0.25 kg Crystal 60L
Hops: Cascade (100g split over 5 additions (60, 30, 10, 0 mins & dry)

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Est Profile: OG: 1.049, FG: 1.014, ABV: 4.5 - 5%, Bitterness: 34 IBU

My pot is 12L.

I plan on ordering my supplies from http://libertybrewing.co.nz. They have 'Gladfield Ale Malt', which I'm guessing would be the most appropriate base malt from what they have on offer. How much would I need (remember my pot is just 12L)? What other grains should I add? I'm guessing .25kg Crystal 60 and maybe some Weyermann Carapils to help with head retention (a weakness in my brews to date), how much?

What about Irish Moss - is that worthwhile in a partial mash?

I have a muslin bag that I use for steeping grains - will that do the job for a partial mash grainbag or do I need to get to get Swiss Voile?

I assume I would do the 60min hops boil with just the wort from the grains and then add the LME or DME at the end - is that best approch?

Why, if you have a largely all Lqd malt brew do you feel you need to do a 60 min boil? I dont see the partial in this... If you were adding a Kg+ of base malt grain yes... a boil might be on the cards.. If im doing am extract brew (which to me this is) I will still only maybe up the hops on a 40 min boil for bitterness the + the 20min and 5 min additions..

there is sweet FK all grains in this recipe to demand a 60 min boil..

Be careful with those muslim bags. Bribie from Qld started a small experiment but now he seems obsessed with them

Poor Bribie fanboy!!

tnd

One of these?

i_am_a_muslim_bag-p1497958971227454132wldi_210.jpg

or one of these

5289003-a-young-muslim-woman-in-traditional-clothes-with-a-bag.jpg

or one of these?

camel-spit.jpg

:blink:

Why, if you have a largely all Lqd malt brew do you feel you need to do a 60 min boil? I dont see the partial in this... If you were adding a Kg+ of base malt grain yes... a boil might be on the cards.. If im doing am extract brew (which to me this is) I will still only maybe up the hops on a 40 min boil for bitterness the + the 20min and 5 min additions..

there is sweet FK all grains in this recipe to demand a 60 min boil..
I think you didnt read my post. That was my extract recipe. I'm basically looking for advise on developing a partial recipe along the lines of this.

download brewmate and formulate a recipe that will fit to your equipment... Bmate

You should be able to sub out the Liquid and replace with enough base malt to get to your OG..

1/2 an Irish moss tablet is good to about 25lt (from memory)... so you will need substantially less..

Have at it soldier... and yes I think I did misunderstand the post last night...

Ok, here's my initial attempt at coming up with a recipe:

Grains to mash:
2kg Gladfield Ale Malt
.25kg Crystal 60
.25kg Weyermann Carapils

DME (late addition):
2kg Light DME

Hops:
Simcoe: 10g @ 60min, 15g @ 30min, 25g @15min
NZ Cascade: 25g @ 0min, 25g dry hop

QUESTIONS:
1. Can I comfortably mash 2.5kg grains in 12L pot?
2. Is .25kg Carapils about right?
3. Does that look like a good way to combine Simcoe & Cascade? (I wanted to do Simcoe/Amarillo but Liberty Brewing dont have any Amarillo at the moment)
4. Any other comments suggestions?

Thanks for the brewmate suggestion, it seems quite good.

Cheers,
Aidan

Latest posts

Back